1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Pros and cons to purchasing remanufactured R1 +

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by aznhlfan, Apr 26, 2017.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Looking to purchase my second R1 +, are the factory remanufactured ones a good deal at $499, or is it better to to go new at $600 or $700. My first mods on the first one were a XXl led, feet to raise it up for better cooling, 4"computer can blowing on the ramps, quick change for filament, and of coarse a different spool holder. The first mods on this would be the same, except I may go E3D hot end, not sure as a print 90% PLA.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

This is a decision you have to make based on your experience.
    The refurbished ones are clearly returns that have been tweaked.
    I don't know what percentage of them continue to have problems compared to new ones.

Personally I would suggest that if you are willing to do some work on it then save the money and get a refurb, but bear in mind the warranty period is different (at least I am pretty sure it is) so if you do have problems you need to be willing to get on the horn and push them to sort those issues out while in warranty.

aznhlfan likes this.
  3. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

I don't mind doing work on it, as I know the most about R1+, and it seems to have the most and best research and answers online. I would be replacing my original Prusa i3 mk2, that myself or with the help of Geoff from this forum never got it to print my designs, whereas the R1+ I have prints them flawlessly . I need 2 dependable printers to help me out with my side business.

4. Bricktop

Bricktop New Member

I can vouch for my refurb R1+. Only 2 small issues after setup: loose thermister connection and the vertical rods popped out of the little stabilizers at the top of the hood. This was most likely done in transit and were easily detected and fixed. Id say go for it.

5. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Nice, already have it ordered. My first 2 adds (mods, changes}, are going to be an XXL lcd and a E3D V6. Plus a larger fan blowing on the ramps, so I guess that's 3, lol.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.