1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Cura stopped working for mac

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Pierworker, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Pierworker

Pierworker New Member

Hi All,

New to the forums, new to 3D printing. I'd been using Robo's Cura 2.3.1 for my C2 with no issues until I updated macOS to 10.12.4. Now it constantly freezes up and eventually causes the computer to crash. Anyone else having issues?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I only used Cura briefly to play with the dual-extrusion mod we did and have never used it on a Mac.

We DO have a few Mac users so perhaps one of them can chime in.

p.s. Cura is not done by Robo either --sadly :)
    There is a newer version if you want to try that.
    Robo just provided a profile, but you can create a new one.

3. Pierworker

Pierworker New Member

Thanks, I'm trying to install Cura 2.5 but when I open it, nothing happens.

(I also just realized I posted this in the wrong place on the forums, oops)

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

This is probably better directed to the actual Cura forums that Ultimaker hosts.

5. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I'm slicing on a MacBook Pro w/4GB memory, OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 and Cura 2.3.1. Seems to work fine but I haven't upgraded to Sierra (10.12), for what it's worth. (Thanks for the warning.)

Nilrog here suggested that it has something to do with where the settings are stored: ~/Library/Application Support/cura (looks like root access would be required for updates) versus ~/.cura (your user would have rights here). So maybe 10.12 has tighter enforcement of not-writing-to-global-areas or something. Same thread mentioned, Gnevko indicates that he deleted the app, emptied the trash and re-installed Cura again to make it work. Another user confirmed same. (Again, the settings folder rights idea could explain both fixes.) Same thread, someone else created a new app in applications and then dragged all the Cura stuff into it, which worked.

The particular error seen in some of their crash dumps looks like "software with a bad pointer in it" = buggy code.