1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered how can I fix this

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by fredm, Apr 9, 2017.

1. fredm

fredm Member

My printer does this whenever I print a round item like a pumpkin or attached pic of a cup.

what causes this and how can I fix it?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

First guess is agree with @mark tomlinson to hot on the overhangs, probably not cylindrical only, just the most noticeable

3. fredm

fredm Member

okay so lower temp and speed.
    lower temp in increments of 5 degrees? 10 degrees?

funny thing is there is a small portion that always prints fine, maybe 30 percent

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Invert the cup in your slicer, see if the inside of the cup does the same thing.

banolka and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is a judgement call. If you had a small test print that was demonstrating this I would say go in really small increments, but use whatever seems reasonable. At least 5 degree increments given the size.

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

It's hard to see in the image, but it looks like the base of the cup is doing the same thing, so you may need to check for over-extrusion, or maybe look at the minimum layer time setting and play with it.

7. fredm

fredm Member

I lower the temp by 10 degrees. On a different print still have some issues.
    I will have to try with the same exact design.

but what I dont understand is, if its an issue with overheating/ cooling. why didnt it occur when printing the smaller stem of the glass where each layer is being laid down faster?. and also only on one side, when it did occur?

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The steeper angle and unsupported perimeters are some of the issue. A few things can work to help fix this, more cooling which is usually impractical since you are likely cooling it already, printing that section faster but again requires a lot of work since most slicers can't do this on their own, lower layer heights will make the overhang smaller at the expense of exponential increases in print time.

When slicers all adopt the variable layer height model then things like adjusting layer height to meet situation like this will be easier.

9. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

After the first say 5 layers (your preference), shut the bed heater off. Basically the only thing the bed heater is used for is bed adhesion. I've noticed this helps drastically with overhangs and bridges. My experience, yours may differ.

mark tomlinson likes this.