1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Which filament is best for outdoor use?

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by LarryM, Jan 28, 2017.

1. LarryM

LarryM New Member

I made some license plate holders using black PLA but the summer sun has caused the item to distort, ie "melt". Would ABS be a better choice? Are there any post-production tricks to apply to reduce the effects of outdoor use? Thanks.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Look for a filament with a higher tG (glass transition temperature)

ABS is higher than PLA (100c for ABS), BluPrint is higher than ABS (115 for BluPrint), Polycarbonate (150c), etc.

ABS is hard to print in an open bay printer, BluPrint not so tough.

PolyCarbonate can be a bear on any printer :)

Personally (just my choice) if those were my options I would use BluPrint and paint it or epoxy coat it (XTC3D or the like)

3. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

PETG might be another solution. It's supposably to hold moisture and is much stronger then abs

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

4. Fred Williams II

Fred Williams II New Member

Formfutura ApplloX is great material to be outside and it is easy to print, like PLA.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It has a lower tG than any of the others I suggested at 97c

That is what is important if the stuff is going to get hot.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It has a tg of 85 C, also lower than any others I suggested.

Bear in mind his use-case. If it will get hot it needs to have a higher glass transition temp.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

3D printing has a smattering of electrical, electronic, computer science and ... materials engineering :)

If strength alone were his issue there are a lot of better choices than ABS. Many nylon blends are stronger by far...

Heat is a tricky one, but even then ABS is not the "clear" winner.

In this case glass transition temperature is the most important property. If he wants to have the part get hot and not deform that is the one that matters. You are not worried as much about it melting as it deforming or warping and once you get it hotter than the tG it will start to do exactly that. how much depends on the size, position and stresses on the printed part.

Of all of the filaments mentioned ABS is better only in terms of price and then due to the lower tG I would shy away from using it as well.

#7 mark tomlinson, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  8. LarryM

LarryM New Member

Thanks for the replies. Since BluPrint is clear (great for another project I have in mind) and I need black objects, what type of paint can be used? Will a can of Krylon spraypaint work?

As per Mark's comment above, I have my computer science degree already, next material engineering? Old dog, new trick comes to mind :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Acrylic works great on all printable filament types. If you use a decent printer anything really ... :)

I really like BluPrint for how it prints in addition to the properties. It has a low tendency to warp and a decently hot bed will stop that.

10. Nathanfish

Nathanfish Active Member

I've had a hollow, 3 perimeter wide PETG cube sitting on my black trash can lid for about 9 months now just to see what the heat and the sun would do to it. Stood up to one KS summer already and still looks like i just printed it so i've been pretty impressed.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is just the point -- you may not need as high temperature a filament as you think, but.. in the South if it will be sitting in a car on a sunny day it can get pretty darn hot :(

12. Kevin Allan

Kevin Allan New Member

It really depends on your area and what humidity it is for me ill use abs filament or pla filament since its not that hot here
    where i live

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

PETG is probably the best "all-around" outdoor filament if you aren't going to do something nuts like have it under the windshield of your car or something during the heat of the summer. Sitting out in the open won't affect it, but putting into what is essentially a solar oven will gradually ruin it.

14. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Active Member

Nobody suggested TPU. It could be stiff when you use 100% infill with the correct thickness, and shore hardness of 98A.

15. Denawh1

Denawh1 New Member

I advise friends on is depending on the project, you might want to upgrade your quality for material. If you are just printing random fun things for home use or the like, the cheap stuff works. If you're planning to devout days or weeks of printing for a bigger project, that might be something you use higher quality stuff

16. Denawh1

Denawh1 New Member

Sorry my previous comment seemed arrogant. With my experience ABS is best for outdoors. It can be difficult to print on an open platform.

17. Danielle Thompson

Danielle Thompson New Member

18. Morant

Morant New Member

The first thing came to my mind was abs filament, which is famous for its strength, durability, and UV resistance. For outdoor printing exposed to sunlight, this is a good choice. The disadvantage is that it requires a heated printing bed.

19. Morant

Morant New Member

In addition to abs filament, ASA and petg are also good choices. Similar to ABS, but ASA has better weather resistance. ASA has high UV resistance and is not prone to cracking or fading over time in sunlight. It is easier to print than ABS.
    Even when exposed to moisture or ultraviolet radiation, petg can still maintain its mechanical properties. This is a good choice for outdoor functional printing.
    Consider also weatherproofing prints with paints or clear coats for added protection.

#19 Morant, Aug 22, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  20. Lance Weston

Lance Weston Active Member

I made a latch for a black mailbox out of petg. It has not been a real hot summer in Long Island NY but the sun did change the latch from straight to sway back.

Attached Files: