1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

STL files start printing low

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by David Mortlock, May 1, 2017.

1. David Mortlock

David Mortlock Active Member

Just got my C2 and the gcode files supplied with it print perfectly

When I try any other .stl run through cura 2.3.1 from the Robo site the printer seems to start lower, just touching the bed, and the filament gets dragged around behind the extruder. ie it does not adhere to the bed.

Any ideas on how I can adjust the start height of the extruder just a touch to get it printing these .stl files correctly

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is it doing the autoleveling when you use the other STLs?

3. David Mortlock

It certainly is. It appears to do everything correctly whichever files I use but just starts printing a little low when I use STL's put through Cura.

The line it prints across the front of the bed at first appears to print correctly with all files I print, Just the object itself causes problems.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The line across the front in no way really uses any autoleveling :)
    It is an absolute Z height called out in the startup GCode block (so -- cheating).

I got tired of them changing the offset with firmware updates and finally just manually leveled it and removed the G29 from the startup.
    You can manually adjust the Z offset via the LCD controller if you want to fiddle with it.

5. David Mortlock

Thanks Mark

I will look at that when I get back to the printer. If it works then that will do fine.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

However, when I added the Pi and LCD controller just like the C2 to the R1's I left that priming line, because THAT I like :)

7. David Mortlock

I have to ask why???

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Because the R1 series has no Raspberry Pi built-in. You are going to need an LCD controller added and/or a PC to print :) With that modification those are effectively the same as the C2. Just with bigger beds, probably more akin to an R2 with a more antiquated drive-line.

Geof likes this.
  9. holmes4

holmes4 Member

How do you adjust the Z offset? I run the wizard, and it tells me afterwards what value it chose, and it's always wrong. I'd like to be able to set it consistently. I have looked at all the settings from the LCD panel and in Octoprint and haven't found it.

In my case, the priming line prints fine but the object tends to drag the nozzle into the printbed.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can directly edit it from the LCD. I have posted the details previously. I will look in the morning and repost it here

Sent from my BNTV450 using Tapatalk

11. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I'd like to know how to query and change the globally-stored z-adjust without using the wizard. It's working now (after much trial-and-error) but I worry that I'll lose this after some update.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And apparently nobody searched it :) (I did forget to to edit this though so mea culpa)

Anyway, given that they have re-worked the LCD menu recently I looked again. Here you are, the finger-poking guide:
    UTILITIES->OPTIONS->EEPROM->Home Offsets

From there you will see the Z offset and you should be able to edit it directly.

#12 mark tomlinson, Jun 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    OutsourcedGuru and Geof like this.