1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Adhesion problem [PLA]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by banolka, May 5, 2017.

1. banolka

banolka Member

Hi,

I have Robo 3D R1 with threaded rods, E3D V6, GLASS BED with Marlin 1.1.0 RCFIX with MESH leveling. I have adhesion problem. I set z-offset to 0.8 and used bed leveling test. Print was very nice but unfortunately did not stick very well. I printed it on glass bed made from IKEA mirror - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/39151700/ - it is fixed to original bed with hot glue on the sides - McGuyver style ;) I noticed that bed heated up to 60C is only worm on the middle and on the sides is much less temp. around 30-33C.

Any suggestions how to improve adhesion of the PLA?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

PLA actually doesn't need heat at all but heat usually helps. You can increase adhesion by using something like extra hold hairspray or even a very light coating of a glue stick. I prefer the hairspray as it is less messy. Let it dry completely before printing.

You also may need to adjust your heating temperatures upward, if you place the mirror on top of the original glass bed that is a lot of insulation you need to heat through, and the original heating pad is not very strong. Remember the sensor is on top of the heating element not on top of the glass.

3. banolka

banolka Member

I have Dimafix - but it needs temp above 50-60C to work. I'll try spray and no heating. I thought that glass and correct layer height would do the trick.

I was thinking to attach PEi shit also.

#3 banolka, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017