1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Glass build plate for C2

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by colton81, Mar 11, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Also just an update on my glass bed ive removed the magnets out of the original bed and epoxy them on the glass. Works perfect i have noticed however even with the bottom painted black the magnets showing through the glass through off the autolevel. So i have to spray hairspray on it before each print and that seems to staop the sensors from messing up. Below is a picture of my glass bed.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Ideally the firmware test points would not be close enough to "see" those. You might could tweak the firmware to adjust the sample points if you really wanted to.

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

With regard to moving the bed after the print is done, you have two ways of doing it. One way is to include Gcode in your slicer that is appended to the end of the sliced model. MatterControl calls this End G-Code and it is in the Custom G-Code section of the Printer settings. Cura calls it End G-code and it is under Settings/Printer menu Manage Printers then Machine Settings. In Simplify3D you have to edit the process and look at the Scripts tab and they call it Ending Script. Note that if it is included in any of these places it is added to every single model you slice with that profile.

The second way to execute ending g-code is to have OctoPrint do it for you. You have to connect to your printer via a browser then go into Settings and choose GCODE Scripts there is where you will find a script for After print job completes. Note that OctoPrint also allows different scripts to run After print job is cancelled or paused or resumes, etc.

One thing to note, if you embed your ending script in the model then it will only execute if the print completes successfully. OctoPrint give you more control when things aren't successful. That said I personally use the embedded ending code as my first assumption is that all my prints will be successful, I leave the After print job completes section blank within OctoPrint. But if I have to cancel a job I let OctoPrint handle moving the bed and turning off the heaters.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. colton81

colton81 Active Member

So the glass bed worked amazing well untill i broke it and realized its a pain in the @ss to remove the magnets and put them on a new bed so I redesigned the bed ( well not really designed it but stole the idea from Robo from their R2 model) and created a bed that the glass can just laydown inside of it so if it does break its easy to remove and replace. Still havent finnished but should be by tonight.

5. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Side view ( took a spare bed from the C2 cut the sides off and moved up to match the thickness of the glass and epoxied the side back to the bed)

Attached Files:

6. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Are you going to heat the bed sometime in the future?

7. colton81

colton81 Active Member

I want to just not sure if the plastic for the C2 bed can withstand the heat without warping really bad. Also finding a small enough silicone heater is hard other then buying through AliExpress i just dont like buying through those type of companies due to not sure how much i could trust them

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

#28 WheresWaldo, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
  9. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Ok i believe i checked them out before i might just go ahead and get it but im confused on the watts what is recommended for the C2?

10. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Also with the magnets i was trying to use the ones they use that are countersunk which for the life of me i could not find any in the correct size exactly like that. And at least with this design if the glass breaks i dont have to cut a new piece of glass and then glue the magnets on the exact spot all i have to do is cut the glass and lay it in and im good to go

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

You can figure it out backwards, The C2 control board is a customized RAMPS clone (They moved a bunch of stuff around). If it has a similar power section there are two ways to go, RAMPS has an 11A limit @ 12V for the Heater, 12V x 11A = 132W max. You don't really want to drive that much power through it, so derate it by 25% to be safe and you still have 100W to play with. Just as an FYI 100W is just a few watts less than the heater the R1 uses and is still a lot of power for such a small bed. The second way requires more electronics but can draw more power if needed and that is using an SSR (but this is overkill for the C2.

Since @mark tomlinson has torn apart the C2 completely maybe you can look at his thread to see how you might wire it up.

I have a drawer full of magnets in a bunch of sizes because they are good for a ton of uses not just for 3D printers. From China (where almost all of the rare earth metals used in these magnets comes from anyway) they are cheap. Banggood has a rather large selection of sizes and shapes, all cheap and even some in their US warehouse.

12. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Looks like the ball is 8mm
    So that first banggood linked one is close at 10mm

13. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member