1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

How accurate is your printer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, May 13, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If you haven't subscribed to Maker's Muse 3D printing channel on YouTube you should. Angus has just posted a video on print accuracy and had a good little model to print as a printer test. Free for this week then a minimum of $1 afterwards. Subscribe, donate he has a great channel.

Print this out and let Angus know your results, don't forget to tell us here too.

Ryan TeGantvoort and Geof like this.
  2. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

I have and i am printing it today. Ill share it here. If you post it, tell what filament, speed and height

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

3. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

900mm/min?! Who prints that slow?! I gone as slow as 2900 which is the speed I'm doing for this

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Did Angus use that speed to print it on his delta. I watched the video but didn't pay close attention as I was watching today's Giro d'Italia stage at the same time.

5. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

He didn't say and I don't think that was his settings as it shows 0% infill but showed infill in his broken piece.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Totally agree @WheresWaldo a youtuber that actually makes sure his printer prints right and does tests to check performance and accuracy. Much better than someone that makes .... nothing :D just tests stuff people send ;)

7. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

[​IMG]

Makergeek PLA, .2 layer, 33mm/sec, got it to spin at .15.

8. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am going to try and print one for myself this afternoon, would love to see a C2 owner or two print one also.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

What else I like about Angus is that he tries to teach you something too, especially all his Fusion 360 videos. I like Joel too but Joel basically just reviews stuff and does not really delve into trying to improve your printing skills. Thomas is much more on the explain and show parts and is now expanding into filaments, but even his channel has lagged a bit behind Angus with respect to improving your prints.

Geof and m4r1n5 like this.
  10. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Angus will hit the 100K sub milestone today. He's been in the US this week getting ready for the MFBA event this weekend. Really wish I could have gone out this year. Would be great to meet him in person. Lots of these youtubers are very different in real life and some are just as they seem on video.

11. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

Which YouTube channel is Angus? I only know the other two

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Makers muse

13. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

I'll try printing it in PETG for a real torture accuracy test.

14. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

That's right. I was thinking of Thomas. I usually watch his and 3d nerd

15. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Is it just me or does Thomas make way to many 1hour plus live videos? For me at least when im trying to figure something out i try to find videos of 30 mins or less unless i need an entire tutorial on something but his 1 hours plus videos seem to just drag on

16. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Im gonna try this out on my C2 and see how it comes out

17. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Most of his long ones are live streamed build videos. He usually edits up a summary of the build afterword.

I don't watch his live stream ones, the rest of his stuff is fantastic.

18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

My own opinion on YouTubers is that Thomas does a great job of providing information that is useful, Angus probably ranks second for me as far as content, Joel while his shtick is entertaining initially, wears on you and most of his videos are glorified unboxings and Thingiverse prints. Jerry is less and less relevant with regard to 3D printing that I actually unsubscribed to his channel.

But my bias is not toward trying to be entertained, which I think is a mistake that a lot of YouTube content creators make. I have no interest in watching two guys get drunk on a livestream, nor am I interested in overt advertising (people who feel like all their 'reviews' have to say good things) or shilling of products (no bad products). That is just me, I want to learn something new every day and would like it to be engaging rather than silliness specifically used to solicit subscribers. I also have little tolerance for people who just say dumb things expecting their viewers to swallow every word as if it were gospel, we already have enough of that.

I generally don't watch livestreams either, too long, too disjointed, panders now to people that donate money.

jim3Dbot, colton81 and Geof like this.
  19. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Well i printed it out and it sucks lol but i think its the filament i bought the proto-pasta htpla smoke filament and either i havent dialed in the settings properly or the filament is horrible. Only got the 0.5 to spin everything else welded together. Ive tried 6 test prints changing temps speeds and layer height and cant really get a good print out of it. Thier website states same settings as pla which is bull its very "goey" like and after about 10 layers it starts to jam up in the nozle. And it looks horrible. Feel like i wasted my money on it. Going to try the matte filament since ive seen good reviews on it. But will reprint this with just regular red pla from Robo and see how it turns out

20. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Our C2 is pretty well configured so I downloaded it and will try it today/tomorrow and see what we get.

Geof likes this.