1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Volcano wobbles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by JoshYourITGuy, May 18, 2017.

1. JoshYourITGuy

JoshYourITGuy Active Member

I am having an issue with my Volcano add-on. Due to the added length, there is a noticeable wobble of about 1-2mm at the nozzle during a print, this is causing some quality issues with prints.

I have the R1 with the stock Greg's Wade. I made sure the 2 socket-cap screws holding the E3D cold end are fully tightened and are "bitten" into the edge of the cold end, there is no rotation, just a wobble.

Any suggestions on tightening this up? Should I just print a new Greg's Wade? I made a @Mike Kelly modular carriage for my clone, I could make one for this one too, but I worry the Volcano is too long and will still wobble.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Where is the wobble originating?
    Top of hotend? Above that somewhere? Top of heat break?

If the hotend is well attached at the top to the extruder I can't think of where it would normally be able to wobble.

Video maybe ?

#2 mark tomlinson, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  3. JoshYourITGuy

Looks like it is from inside the Greg's Wade, last time I pulled the hot-end, I could see the thread-bite area was a bit "wollered" so I rotated it a bit and that seemed to help for awhile. I know the R1++'s use some sort of plate like this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1192896 but I am not sure if the original R1's can be modded to make that work.

I will try getting video after my current print is finished.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can add the plate to an R1... it might mean slight modification of the carriage (I honestly have not looked at doing it). But anything can be done since all of those parts are printable.

You can just move up to slightly larger screws if you want (I think I am on M4 now). When I swapped mine from Phillips to Hexhead I went up a size...

aznhlfan likes this.
  5. JoshYourITGuy

I will have to investigate that plate.

I was thinking it was about time to replace those screws anyway, the hex sockets were getting rounded a bit. Looks like another trip to Fastenal in my near future.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

:)

The original Beta and R1 came with M3 phillips head and that was poor since trying to get those out/in meant you were eventually going to have a stripped head. I swapped mine to M4 allen head and no problems.

#6 mark tomlinson, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    aznhlfan likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

E3D Quick Clip v5.png My E3Dv6 wobbled too, so I made a little wedge that inserts into the QR Plate and stabilizes the hotend. It works perfectly.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  9. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Check your X carriage for cracks. That's what ended up happening to mine because of the size difference. I printed a new carriage with a slot in the side. Got rid of those pesky screws.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.