1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. Domenic

Domenic Member

I got my R1 plus in November and haven't touched the firmware. Should I upgrade my firmware to this Marlin 1.1.0 firmware

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your content with your prints then no. If youd lije to tinker SO MUCH YES

Steve0 and WheresWaldo like this.
  3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

My thoughts exactly, (as @Geof) 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'

My own choice is to use the new versions of Marlin, but I refuse to answer for all the others that make a decision one way or another. I do it because I wanted to use MESH leveling, I wanted to play with RGB lighting, I wanted all the firmware issues fixed even though very few of them affect the R1. But unless you have a legitimate reason there is no real need to update.

Just as a point of interest, the new C2/R2 uses Marlin 1.1.0.

4. Domenic

Domenic Member

Since I love to tinker, should I update to marlin 1.1.0 then do the bug fix one?

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Just start with the files here

6. Mike Poling

Mike Poling New Member

Getting this message when I try to compile:
    Arduino: 1.8.2 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

Marlin.ino:45:110: fatal error: U8glib.h: No such file or directory
    #include <U8glib.h> //
    ^
    compilation terminated.
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560.

7. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Do you have a full graphics LCD controller on your Robo? If not, look at the first couple posts where @WheresWaldo shows the lines to comment out. If you do have one, then there is a link to where to find the library needed in configuration.h.

Geof likes this.
  8. Domenic

Domenic Member

What are the differences between the different bed levelings, and which one does the r1+ use stock

9. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Technically, the Robo doesn't use any of them stock (the old version of ABL in 1.0 is different from the one in 1.1).

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You are really asking the wrong folks if you want much detail. The Marlin developers are the ones with the down-and-dirty detail on this.
    They are (mostly) completely different mathematical approaches to the same problem. The MESH is (IMHO) the better of them, UBL is too new and too uncertain fora judgement call.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Basically the R1 when auto-leveling was enabled used what is now called LINEAR. It basically takes all 9 points and tries to fit a single plane that is a best fit. It works pretty good if you have a perfectly flat build plate that is only tilted in one axis. Of course that is not real. Please note that this is an over-simplification of the actually process used.

The newer auto-leveling is called BILINEAR and it tries to fit multiple planes in between all the probe points. It works better on warped beds or beds that are tilted in multiple axes. Since all auto-leveling schemes need the probe to push on the bed and since the bed flexes, different amounts in different locations, auto-leveling on the R1 is less than accurate and less than repeatable.

That is why MESH which is totally manual, if done correctly is currently the best mechanism for assuring bed level.

Please note that purists hate the term leveling since the bed is never level and the procedures used don't actually level the bed. Rather it is technically bed tramming where the extruder height is adjusted so it stays parallel to the bed surface rather than the bed surface or extruder being level.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

New Files Released

Marlin has a new Release. Version 1.1.1 is supposed to fix the bulk of the show stopping bugs in the 1.1.0 release and is the basis moving forward. Original post changed. The changes between 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 are outlined here.

Auto bed leveling files in post #4
    MESH bed leveling in post #5
    Uniform Bed Leveling in post #6 (Use at your own peril)

#32 WheresWaldo, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  13. Dean Claxton

Dean Claxton New Member

Thank you WheresWaldo - this is excellent timing as I'm just in the process of installing an IR differential probe on my R1 (one of the Aus3D 1.4 ones). I designed a simple mounting bracket for it (happy to share if anyone wants it - I'm using hexagon hotend) and mounted it on the right hand side of the x carriage (using the 2 holes that are there), and have updated my config as per Aus3D doco but it appears the original Robo Marlin 1.0.0 RC2) doesn't allow for the nozzle being below the probe.

At the moment my printer does the autolevel then starts printing with the nozzle 1.6mm or so off the bed.

Does anyone else here use a non contact Z probe? I really didnt like the way the printer handled the z stops (I could see the glass bending before it tripped) so thought that non contact would be the way forward.

Perhaps this new release will work correctly with my z probe offset.

Cheers,
    Dean

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

#34 mark tomlinson, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  15. Doncrush

Doncrush New Member

I am having problems upgrading to Marlin 1.1.1 MESH, my Full Graphics Smart Controller looks pretty normal and then freaks out at some point and shows mostly pixels and maybe a chinese/japanese character.

16. Doncrush

Doncrush New Member

I should note that the Full Graphics Controller was working on the older firmware.

17. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Did you try putting the XXL back on and see if it still works ok? Of course you will need to comment out the Full Graphics in the Configuration.h file and then uncomment the XXL and reflash. Just wondering if it is your full graphics that is wonky. Another bit could be the refresh rate. You may need to adjust that since with this firmware they did some tweaks that has caused some issue with other release candidates.

18. Doncrush

Doncrush New Member

I only have a Full Graphics Controller, I started out today going from an older version of Marlin 1.1.1 so that I could start using Mesh leveling. Can't figure out whats up with the display...it worked fine on the older version of Marlin.

19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Bug in the new Marlin or a change in how they configure it.

Did it compile OK? No warnings?

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member