1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Installing Fans

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Gripp, May 16, 2017.

1. Gripp

Gripp Member

So I have some 40mm fans laying around and since I'm fairly new to 3D printing and definitely new to the R1+, I figured I'd ask for some input on adding a second cooling fan. Is it as simple as cutting the wires of the current fan and adding the new fans wiring to it as well? I'd have to print fan mounts, but I've seen a couple options on thingiverse. I was also thinking of adding one to the underside to help with cooling. Can I just plug a new one in beside the one that's connected to the bottom cover?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, but ... read the next comment...

Yes, make sure when you mount them that they are blowing air onto the printed part, not the nozzle of the hotend. Otherwise you will have trouble maintaining the print temperature. An upgrade to a 40w heater will help there too. Example: https://smile.amazon.com/TOOTO-Reprap-Ceramic-Cartridge-Printer/dp/B019Q6AN96

Yes. Or just use a bigger single fan.

#2 mark tomlinson, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
  3. Gripp

Gripp Member

Ok. I'm not ready to attempt any kind of hotend upgrades yet so I'll make sure it's blowing on the part. would it be worth it to replace the little fan that blows above the hotend? I found an adapter for a 40mm fan.

For the bottom, a bigger fan works. I have a couple extra 120mm fans laying around that I can use.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you don't have heat creep then upsizing the actual extruder fan is pointless.
    The one that comes with the hexagon is fine. The 40mm adapter was to help people who could not find the right sized fan without buying an entire hotend.

5. Paladin

Paladin New Member

I just installed one of the 40mm fan adapters on the hexagon of my R1+ because the stock fan was loud enough to bother me.

If you go that route make sure you use a longer X axis end stop screw or print and install an extender as the 40mm with adapter will protrude further out from the carriage. You'll end up loosing a few mm on the X axis doing it this way.

mark tomlinson likes this.