1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Heater upgrade, then stepper troubles R1 with lead screws

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert55, May 22, 2017.

1. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I just finished doing a "multi" upgrade. Started with replacing the glass bed (1/4 mirror glass), went ahead and did Pergo's 600 watt bed heater and relay, put some of the Igus bearings I had to good use (X and Z linear bearings). I still have to print the bed ends for Pergo's Y axis upgrade. So I put everything together. Bed heats fine - 60c in under a minute. But ALL my Axis steppers move noisily (at best), or sit and hum (worst). I haven't tried the extruder yet I don't have a multimeter (yet), but tried adjusting the pots in both directions with little success. I DO have another Arduino Mega and matching RAMPS 1.4 I could swap in, but here I'm confused. I have an R1, factory upgrade lead screws (+), and both the Arduino board and RAMPS board are white - not a color shown in the forums. Could it be a direct swap out with this??: http://www.reprapdiscount.com/h…/20-ultimate-power-pack.html

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, they are just cheaper clone boards. Not abnormal.
    You could swap to any other generic RAMPS 1.4 (the one you linked to is very expensive when the price lists for me).

I would start by swapping the stepper drivers first (the little cards on the RAMPS) and making sure the jumpers under them are correctly inserted.

Robert55 likes this.
  3. Robert55

Robert55 Member

That one just happens to be the one I have on hand. Originally, it was supposed to go into a Rigidbot Big I have. The one inside the Robo3D LOOKS identical - white boards and everything. That's why I asked.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yea, you are good. :)

Robert55 likes this.
  5. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I might be a little "jumpy" about "jumpers" - see attached pic, old RAMPS still mostly attached. Looks identical. Oh, and the old Arduino board is a "Taurino Classic", while the new one is a "Taurino POWER". Looks like a direct drop in - do you agree?? Thanks. CameraZOOM-20170523111610382.jpg

#5 Robert55, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Jumpers should be as you have them -- all installed (those control the level of microstepping that the RAMPS can support -- just so you know). As for the Arduino -- it is a clone so your mileage may vary on how it is labeled, but as long as it is a clone for the Arduino Mega 2560 -- you are good.

I have bought a lot of clone arduinos (in all flavors) and generally speaking these just work as advertised. I did have a bad batch of RAMPS boards recently, but given what they cost that is unsurprising (and Amazon Prime meant they just replaced or refunded them post-haste anyway).

Robert55 likes this.
  7. Robert55

Robert55 Member

One last question, and we can probably close this thread. If the swap doesn't work, it has to be something else anyhow. On the DRV8825 stepper drivers - I have no problem messing with the firmware, (running the latest Bug Fix care of WheresWaldo) and I'm kind of interested in the 1/32 stepping. Can you see any REAL problems with the swap?? They're cheap enough that I put an order in through Amazon - it'll be in tomorrow. My multi-meter comes in today. Thanks for your patience.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

There are a couple of threads around here somewhere on doing the swap to DRV8825 from the A4988.

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/stepper-driver-calibration-information.6466/

As long as you are aware of all the differences, have fun :)
    I never felt the need to do that, so I just have a ton of spare A4988 boards laying around.

edit: another:

http://community.robo3d.com/index.php?threads/z-axis-marlin-baby-stepping.2755/page-2#post-44218

@Ziggy was the master of the details on Marlin and the Robo components. Not sure if his points are still valid for the current Marlin, but I tend to suspect they are

Robert55 likes this.
  9. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I think I've re-discovered stepper motor harmonics!!! I went ahead and swapped out the both the main board and ramps - new stepper drivers and everything. My multi-meter came in, so I did my damndest to calibrate in place - I don't have a full electronics lab (yet). Got X , Y and Extruder into the ballpark with the A4988's - they move fine with no load. I'm using Simplify3d for control. If you "enable motors", it's very difficult to turn them. "Disable motors" and they turn free. So they have torque. If Z isn't turned all the way up, it just hums a little. If it IS turned all the way up, it moves, jerks a little, goes the other way, jerks a little, then repeats.I have more A4988's, but at this point the DRV8825's are coming in tomorrow with a new set of motor cables, so I would have to do it all over again. By the way, this particular power supply ROCKS - with all the sh-t I've thrown at it, dead silent, unlike the stock Robo3D power supply. I probably didn't need it, but now I have a stock spare with a Noctua cooling fan. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0109IMRPS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Geof, WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Ok, I've switched out 3 A4988s for 3 DRV8825's. Found part of my problem was the X-Axis binding on the Igus bearings - a little tight. So I went back to my other carriage and it's fine. The Y-Axis with the 1/4" mirror and oversize heater is fine. Both butter smooth. The Z-Axis now, with the 2 motors, I have to tune the DRV8825 way too high (almost 2.5V) for it to move properly. Funny thing is, it homes just as smooth as the other 2 axis, and really doesn't get hot. Too bad Pololu doesn't have DRV8880's already soldered (my soldering sucks). They have self-tuning built-in from TI (I'm going to practice...). SO.. I'm thinking of using that extra extruder for another DRV8825 and split the Z-Axis up, just to see. I assume there's going to be a firmware change. If you know where it is, could you please let me know before I read all of config.h?? LOL

By the way, I'm using the last bug release. My "Reprap cheapo small lcd controller" temp for the extruder is a little buggy. Reads good on Simplify3D at the same time. And, yes, I did double the steps in the firmware for all 3 axis. Left the extruder alone. I didn't change the driver - with back pressure and ooze, wouldn't make any difference.

#10 Robert55, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I now DO have a few sets of DRV8880s coming in... For Science. Built in TI Auto-Tuning. 1/16th step, same as the A4988s. Pololu only has them unsoldered, and, seeing as my only good soldering joints come at the end of a torch, I had to make "A Deal". I WILL keep the forum posted, but this is NOT an "A1 Rush" item, as I now have enough spare parts to build a new machine, and have 2 more to get running (a Rigidbot Big, and a Rhino, both Kickstarter). I haven't finished reading "config.h" by a long shot...LOL

BTW, on Facebook, one of the more progressive/intelligent/knowledgeable groups, if you DON'T mention fidget spinners, is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3Dp...633637&notif_t=like&notif_id=1495692236206928

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you use the R1+ firmware as a starting point, it already has the second Z motor mapped to the second extruder output.
    The Z has two outputs for it wired because it should be able to support two steppers, but if you want to experiment with separate drivers then the R1+ firmware will do that for you.

Geof likes this.
  13. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I put another DRV8825 in the second extruder socket and tuned it to match the first one. Plugged the right side motor into it and tried it. Left side moved fine. Right side?? No joy. I AM using the last bug fix for the R1+, but this was an R1 originally. I know I missed something here. (Keeps reading config.h...)

Would I add E1 to this string, value of 1600?

Default Axis Steps Per Unit (steps/mm)
    * Override with M92
    * X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
    */
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 2560, 800 } //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 8mm Threaded Rods
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 160, 160, 1600, 800 } //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1+PLUS
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 1600, 800 } //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 TR8*2
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 400, 800 } //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 TR8*8
    //#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 80, 80, 2267, 800 } //--BH Default steps per unit for RoboR1 5/16" Threaded Rods

Got this when I tried to compile after adding E1 to the string:

/**
    * Require 4 or more elements in per-axis initializers
    */
    constexpr float sanity_arr_1[] = DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT,
    sanity_arr_2[] = DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE,
    sanity_arr_3[] = DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION;
    static_assert(COUNT(sanity_arr_1) >= XYZE, "DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT requires 4 (or more) elements.");
    static_assert(COUNT(sanity_arr_2) >= XYZE, "DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE requires 4 (or more) elements.");
    static_assert(COUNT(sanity_arr_3) >= XYZE, "DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION requires 4 (or more) elements.");
    static_assert(COUNT(sanity_arr_1) <= XYZE_N, "DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT has too many elements.");
    static_assert(COUNT(sanity_arr_2) <= XYZE_N, "DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE has too many elements.");
    static_assert(COUNT(sanity_arr_3) <= XYZE_N, "DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION has too many elements.");

This line was highlited:

static_assert(COUNT(sanity_arr_1) <= XYZE_N, "DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT has too many elements.");

#13 Robert55, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Z does not normally use a DRV8825 -- so that may be your problem. Perhaps you have a mix of DRV8825 and A4988?
    Those are not the same.

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The default for the R1+ is 800 steps/mm on the Z

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1+

Robert55 likes this.
  16. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Robert55 I am not sure Marlin supports what you are trying to do, it can do multiple extruders, but not multiple drivers for the same axis.

Robert55 and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Somehow the R1+ firmware does that though :)
    It uses the normal Z for one and the second extruder for the other*.
    PITA if you want to do two extruders.

*Even though the normal Z is designed to drive two steppers...

Robert55 likes this.
  18. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I presently have 4 DRV8825s hooked up - X,Y,Z,and E1. E0 is the stock A4988. I doubled the steps for everything with a DRV8825, except the E1 - won't compile. The left Z Axis is hooked to the original pins on the RAMPS. The right Z Axis is hooked to the E1 position on the RAMPS, but isn't doing anything. All 3 jumpers are in place. The RAMPS and Arduino are both replacements.

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Check to see if they have a second pins_XXXX.h for the R1+ that would indicate how they set it up

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That will not likely work since effectively the Z is one axis with two different drivers. I suspect the configuration has to be identical.

Robert55 likes this.