1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Heater upgrade, then stepper troubles R1 with lead screws

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert55, May 22, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I think I see what Robo did, there is a setting in pins.h that sets Z2_STEP_PIN, Z2_DIR_PIN and Z2_ENABLE_PIN. I don't like Marlin 1.0.0 so I can't be sure. They must has tweaked other stuff too to make it work, what a kludge.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep .. that is the deal.

I have all of mine (that use Arduino/RAMPS) driven off of the one Z axis driver and have never had a issue.

3. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I see what they did, Robo uses the driver for E1 (second extruder) to drive the second Z stepper

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am surprised it works as well as it does, Since Marlin is single threaded it could introduce timing issues on Z moves if the Arduino gets bogged down.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Robert55

Robert55 Member

I believe I found it. Under "Configuration_adv.h":

// A single Z stepper driver is usually used to drive 2 stepper motors.
    // Uncomment this option to use a separate stepper driver for each Z axis motor.
    // The next unused E driver will be assigned to the second Z stepper.
    //#define Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

#if ENABLED(Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS)

// Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS is a feature to enable the use of 2 endstops for both Z steppers - Let's call them Z stepper and Z2 stepper.
    // That way the machine is capable to align the bed during home, since both Z steppers are homed.
    // There is also an implementation of M666 (software endstops adjustment) to this feature.
    // After Z homing, this adjustment is applied to just one of the steppers in order to align the bed.
    // One just need to home the Z axis and measure the distance difference between both Z axis and apply the math: Z adjust = Z - Z2.
    // If the Z stepper axis is closer to the bed, the measure Z > Z2 (yes, it is.. think about it) and the Z adjust would be positive.
    // Play a little bit with small adjustments (0.5mm) and check the behaviour.
    // The M119 (endstops report) will start reporting the Z2 Endstop as well.

//#define Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS

#if ENABLED(Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS)
    #define Z2_USE_ENDSTOP _XMAX_
    #define Z_DUAL_ENDSTOPS_ADJUSTMENT 0 // use M666 command to determine/test this value
    #endif

#endif // Z_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

Let me reflash and I'll let you know.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I agree, it is a trade-off that seems to make little sense. The Z steppers use the least amount of driver current which is why they can use a single stepper driver. The Z is not moving nearly as often or nearly as fast as Xor Y.

7. Robert55

Robert55 Member

That did it!!! Now, I see they have a dual endstop option for the Z Axis. Now I know what the guy that did the penny balance did. He enabled the dual endstops to auto-level the axis left to right. Cool. That's next on the list. ;) Thanks, guys!!!

8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Original R1+ firmware on my machine (cant speak for anything other than my 2) once a week or even as often as a few days I had to relevel the x axis due to one size magically lifting higher than the other leadscrew. Now if you can imagine this...when I swapped to a generic ramps that issue just .... went away :D

magic ;)

poor idea to save a few pennies at the cost of super frustrations

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Single Z driver? That would totally make sense...

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

;) crazy right!

11. Robert55

Robert55 Member

Well, now I have 2 stepper drivers for Z. She's printing pretty good right now, so I would say "problem solved". I learned a lot from this one - about stepper drivers AND firmware. In my research, I did find something interesting I'm following down. Pololu has some TI DRV8880's that look VERY interesting. 1/16th step, drop in for A4988s, AND "Built in AUTO-TUNING". I have a bunch coming in, but they don't have any with the leads soldered on, so I had to make a "deal". My soldering sucks. One reason I'm checking it out is I have a Rhino (proprietary main board), and a Ridgit Bot Big (putting an Arduino in), and I don't like the tuning bit at all. I'll keep you posted.Oh, I haven't found the probe sequence in the firmware to level out the X/Z axis. Yet. If anyone finds it before me, please let me know. And a special thanks to WheresWalto for all the firmware work he's done. Because of him, I'm no longer intimidated by it.

I think we can consider this thread done. Thank you very much gentlemen. I appreciate the help.

WheresWaldo, Geof and mark tomlinson like this.