1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved lead screw upgrade issues

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Acclamator777, May 25, 2017.

1. Acclamator777

Acclamator777 New Member

I have a refurbished R1 model and I just installed the lead screw upgrade. Pretty straight forward installation. I installed the lead screw firmware and my machine is just behaving incorrectly. I started a test print and the z axis travels all the way upward til it can't go any further and starts grinding. Think issue is in the firmware or maybe i need to upgrade arduino or something else. Really thought this would be a simple upgrade . Read other post about issues people had after this upgrade installation but running into problems into problems myself now. A better after installation instructions would be great . Any help at all with this would be appreciated.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Probably one of the Z axis switches is out of place, highly doubt it is firmware.

KTMDirtFace and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

sounds like the motors are wired backwards. Its likely trying to go home (Guessing, not a ton of information above) and keeps trying until it hits the top of the case. Maybe attach a video?

All instructions are written on the forum by members doing an upgrade in one way or another, if you'd like a post upgrade instruction please feel free to write one up and post it with what issues you ran into and how you fixed it in the mods and upgrades section :D

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I made the assumption that the Z axis moves up when it executes a homing command, if that is the case then one (or both) of the two Z axis endstop switches is out of place.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Did you install the correct firmware?
    Which one did you download? Link please :)

Geof likes this.
  6. Acclamator777

Acclamator777 New Member

Went to robo 3d firmware page and downloaded lead screw upgrade firmware.

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Picture of the Z axis switches, please?
    Which lugs are the wires plugged into?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

What is your line in the configuration.h that configures the STEPS/AXIS?

// default settings

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1+

9. Acclamator777

Acclamator777 New Member

Sorry that it took so long to respond back. Here are pics of the left and right z switch lead screw upgrade assembly. Also, this is the STEP?AXIS configure and I downloaded the lead screw upgrade firmware ROBO3DR1PLUSV1

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {80,80,800,723.38} // default steps per unit for RoBo 3D R1

Attached Files:

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the switches look good there, can you post a video of what the machine is doing? (or not doing )

11. Acclamator777

Acclamator777 New Member

Having issues getting a video uploaded. Good news is I took a look at the stepper motor connections on the board underneath. I rotated the connectors and now the Z axis seams to be working correctly. Need to do some bed leveling, calibrations and tweaking to see if it is working properly.