1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Dirty Extruder and Heat Block

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by pistacheoowalnuttanker, May 28, 2017.

1. pistacheoowalnuttanker

I'm not sure how I got my extruder and heat block so dirty, but they now have black melted plastic on them that won't come off. Is there any way to clean the outside of the extruder and the heat block? I attached a file of what it looks like on a different extruder.

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The easy way is to heat it up and use a steel pad (https://www.officesupply.com/cleani...ere-pads-stainless-steel-scrubber/p66253.html) to carefully reach up in there and wipe it off (you have to move quickly). You can also use cloth (like emery cloth: https://www.amazon.com/3M-03008-Emery-Cloth-Assorted/dp/B000FP8HUU) to do it as well. Either way be very careful, use glove and do not burn yourself. Don't 'linger' when wiping it down ...

The hard way is to dismantle the hotend and disassemble it and then bake the parts (the nozzle and heater block) to totally remove the goop.

Or largely ignore it :)

Geof likes this.
  3. pistacheoowalnuttanker

Okay thank you I think I have some steel pads in my garage that should do the trick. I don't think this is a big issue, but it really does look gnarly. Thanks again for the fast reply.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I just ignore it or the steel pad route :) mostly ignore

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  5. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I also ignore, if it gets big globs i'll heat the hotend up and shove a scrap print onto the end. kinda sucks most of the goobers off.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I used a stiff brass brush, but only if the hotend is unrecognizable. Now I added the silicone sock that E3D has and I just don't need to clean the hotend anymore.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.