1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved No Z-clearance on first layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cather, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cather

Cather New Member

Robo 3D R1 Plus <- Octoprint <- Slic3r

From a distance, it looks like it's printing normally-- it does the autolevel test, and everything looks right-- but when you watch the print itself, the nozzle isn't clearing the bed, and nothing has room to come out. It looks vaguely from above like a faint amount is being distributed, but that's just the nozzle wiping the hairpspray off of the bed as far as I can tell. By the time it gets to the next layer, the filament has been chewed by the extruder motor gear, and it won't move forward.

This happened pretty much out of the blue-- I cancelled a print, because I realised there was a problem with the design, and then it happened when I started the next print.

I've had this happen before with the original R1, and the problem turned out to be with the slicing program (Matter Control), but I don't think that's the case here, because as a diagnostic step I used gcode that came before the problem, with the same result.

I have rebooted the printer, rebooted the pi running Octoprint. I've even let them sit powered off for 24 hours while I attempted to have a life.

2. Cather

Cather New Member

Oh, and I've verified that filament extrudes normally prior to the print.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is either the nozzle too close to the bed (so that it can't push the filament out) or there is a clog happening.
    Adjust the Z offset and see if that helps. Start with 1.0 mm -- make sure the M565 Z-1.0 is in the startup GCode.

Geof likes this.
  4. Cather

Cather New Member

Okay, the good news is that it is now extruding properly. Now it's too high, and printing sloppy. Obviously I'm gonna need to fiddle with the z-offset a little more-- gonna move it down to .5 and see where we go from there. No time at this exact moment, but I expect I will be changing this to resolved....

...however.... can anyone tell me what happened? Why did my printer suddenly need this to be adjusted?

banolka likes this.
  5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

-1.0 mm is just a guess, every printer is different

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You must have had it set to something before. Did you change software?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

7. Cather

Cather New Member

That's just it. I changed nothing; I cancelled a print, did a new slice, it wasn't working. Used a previously sliced gcode, same problem.

I don't mind tweaking the Z offset... I just am wondering how this happened.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Without the z offset your problem is normal. I cant say how you had it working without it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

9. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Maybe a Z switch got sloppy who knows. I have to fiddle with my Z offset periodically for no reason.

Try -1.0 to start ( or 1.0 in matter control I think? ) move it by 0.1 increments. May have to use Positive values..with mattercontrol ( I have no idea used that software once 2 years ago )

10. Cather

Cather New Member

Back home and fiddling with it. Going to start with .5 and move up/down as needed.

Oddly, this printer-- using OctoPrint, Slic3r, and a slic3r config someone in support gave me-- worked out of the box, no adjustments required.

11. banolka

banolka Member

A question. If i use latest Marlin 1.1.1 i should use M565 or M851?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Cather

Cather New Member

banolka-- Make the setting in your slicer program, if possible.

In my case I used slic3r, and there is neither an M565 or M851 in the code.

I am, however, fixed... changing the z offset to 0.1 is producing what appears to be a beautiful print. I will know for sure, once it finishes printing. The last time I printed something similar, it took about ten hours, though now it seems to be saying it will take two days?? Ah, well, another problem to solve, and one I don't need to drag the whole internet into. :D

13. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

M565 was deprecated, If you are using a version of 1.1.1 supplied in my thread, instructions on how to offset the hotend are listed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.