1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

TeaCup Firmware

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Sean Carson, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Killing mesh will guarantee a fork of the project.

Serious question: why aren't more people here using teacup firmware? It's not very feature filled, but it's stable and reliable.

2. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I just edited the last part before you clicked reply. What's you're opinion of teacup firmware?

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Sean Carson I never looked at teacup before it is very far behind Marlin and the code structure is completely different. It looks like it would work and actually run faster than the bloated Marlin, but I do not have the bandwidth to learn about a new firmware. It would be interesting to see how this would work on an R1.

Geof likes this.
  4. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I'm considering nuking my r1 and trying teacup. I'm losing confidence in the marlin team. They aren't ahead if their shit doesn't work reliably.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Only thing I see missing is LCD smart controller support. If you get it working on the R1 make a thread in Mods and Upgrades, the more the merrier.

6. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Will do. I don't care about LCD support, so I'll back up my settings after this print and tinker.

EDIT: It does support displays!

#6 Sean Carson, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Geof likes this.
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Geof likes this.
  8. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I can't use teacup without reverting a few of the changes I made to the printer, and if I have to open it up one more time...

Robert55 likes this.
  9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Sean Carson can we take the Teacup conversation to a new thread, I have a few questions and am interested because of another project I am working on.

Geof likes this.
  10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

moved (I think) all teacup related posts to this new "teacup" thread

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

okay. What did you want to know? If there is enough interest, I MAY revert my robo to the stock config.

12. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I decided to attempt UBL again and I cant even get the damn thing to create a mesh.

Send: G29 P1 T
    Recv: Mesh bed leveling has no data.

I know there is no mesh leveling data. That's why I'm trying to create it!

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Sean Carson I am just not understanding his logic and how he broke up all the parts of teacup. I am thinking about using it on a RAMPS board that only really needs a few functions:
    1. Z axis homing
    2. Z axis moving
    3. Report Z axis position
    4. Report any Z movement completed after the move has been done.
    Along with the normal setting of proper endstop and units of measure, etc.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Sean Carson Also when I get 1.1.2 worked out UBL has a menu system now so you should be able to take all the nonsense of remembering what G-codes go with what parameters and when the go together and in what order and just forget about it all. Supposedly everything can now be done through the menu system.

15. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I don't have an LCD, nor do i want one. I'm a crazy person, I know. So I can't use UBL that way. It has to work in the terminal, which it doesn't.

I have a few things I need to print out, so first I need marlin working. After I get that working and backed up, I'll work on teacup.

#15 Sean Carson, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  16. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Okay, so I opened up my robo and reverted Z endstops and steppers to their factory setup. I can live without that feature. I was able to get the build tool running on my mac and I was able to flash with a third party tool (avrdude was being less than cooperative).

X axis worked. Y axis worked with some tinkering. Z axis worked...for a while. E0 works. I haven't tested the SD card or LCD support (I don't use an LCD)

Y endstops do not work. X endstops do not work. Z endstops DO work.

UART over USB does work, but maxes out at 115200 baud. I haven't figured out how to use UART 2 on the arduino yet, which is how I have octoprint connected.

Bed thermistor does not work. PT100 hotend thermocouple does not work.

I think we can actually get this to work. It's buggy, but for my first try, I think it can work.

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Sean Carson I am trying to figure out the program flow with Teacup. But, since I am not a C programmer I can only figure out so much on my own. What I am trying to find is a way to interject a response other than 'ok' when Teacup processes a G-Code or M-code. I don't care about thermistors or LCD or anything else besides the Z Axis minimum endstop and Z Axis movement.

18. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I don't understand much of C either, and python might as well be French. I don't get it. But I've tried the marlin way and it's just become a catastrophic mess so I'm forced to look elsewhere for a stable printer. Anything I discover, I will throw in here.

19. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Marlin is at least a stable platform -- the 1.0 version is pretty darn stable, 1.1 has not yet gotten there.
    You can try repetier firmware or a host of others... having experimented with them all when looking to build our DLP printer (discussed in another thread) we opted for Marlin on it as well. It had the features we needed and was stable.

Other than the common ones (Marlin, Repetier, Sailfish, Smootie, etc) the less common ones (grbl, teacup, etc) all are a bit of a pain to get working. Also a lot of them are abandoned (like grbl) and no longer actively developed.

Sean Carson and Geof like this.
  20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

If you are just looking for stable Marlin 1.1.0-RC8 was and is stable and works as well as anyone might expect it to work.

But I find the configuration of Teacup confusing, so if you get it working please document all the changes necessary.

Sean Carson and mark tomlinson like this.