1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z calibration wizard not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Leander Kahney, May 31, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

My switch had been knocked out of position. I was able to snap it back in place. If it is not something simple you will need to get Robo support on the horn.

2. Shrp77

Shrp77 New Member

I just checked - and the entire switch assembly is missing the top part (I'm assuming it's similar to the end-point switched used in the R1). Between the door hinge being broken and this switch, I guess I'll be driving this puppy over to their office / warehouse...

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Talanvor

Talanvor Member

sounds like UPS did to your printer what they did to my G3D T-1000 - drop kicked it and ran it over with a truck... =/... only G3Ds packaging wasn't anywhere close to as durable.

That thing is made of metal and the front was caved in.

4. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I have the same problem as Shrp77. I didn't find it floating around the electrical compartment so I'm assuming they installed a dis-functional switch. The cardboard packaging inside the machine must have been rubbing hard all the way from china as the inside of the door is trashed. Scratched and marred about a 6x8 area. Also, when I lifted off the removable bed, one of the magnets detached.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you get a warranty claim in. The magnet can probably be reattached with some Cyanoacrylate or other glue, but regardless they need to know of these issues.

Geof likes this.
  6. mScappa

mScappa New Member

I, too, am suffering from a bad z-level switch. The bed was grinding when it reached the bottom. After inspection, the z-level switch had a some shards broken on the top of it. I'm not sure if the break was a result of the grinding, or vice versa. I called them and they are submitting a case- not sure yet if i have to send the whole unit back or i can replace the switch myself.

Regardless- he mentioned it was the first time he's had that report. If you have a z-level switch problem, i suggest you call and report as well as it may be a systemic issue with the shipping. It probably isn't the best idea to have the board all the way at the bottom during transit as it creates a lot of pressure on that switch i'm sure.

Additionally, the black trim around the base wasn't set properly either (easy fix). Not sure if this was a result of shipping as well. Pics of both issues attached.

Attached Files:

Geof likes this.
  7. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I called yesterday as soon as I opened it but all he could do was send the help request down the line. Just have to wait. I actually emailed Braydon asking if he could get a limit switch out asap but still waiting for a response.

Geof likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They are really slow to respond over the weekend (if they respond)

Geof likes this.
  9. mScappa

mScappa New Member

let me know how your install goes, I'm curious the best way to do it (assuming the send a replacement part). It's in an odd spot that I hope doesn't require mass disassembly of the printer.

In the meantime, I suppose I can manually set the z-base somehow?

10. mScappa

mScappa New Member

Anybody receive any updates on this?

11. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I called Friday night to get this going and have not heard back. I also emailed Braydon and have not received a reply.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you refer to my C2 disassembly thread :) You will see that getting access to it is not super hard (and that was on the smaller C2). Replacing it should not be a huge issue even for someone technically challenged (not implying you are, just saying it is not hard). There is no way to manually or easily override the switch. That is a bit of a show-stopper. Make sure you call them (if you have not already).

Geof likes this.
  13. Kevin Bruckert

I'm still waiting to hear back from my parts request for the z-axis + switch, but on top of that, my power supply is dead, too. Sad, as I really want to get printing with it...

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They really need to beef up their support and supply chain (as in having spare parts 'handy' is not optional).
    Call. Do not just rely on the web form/email. Schedule a tier-2 tech even if it is days out.

15. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

The next bit of correspondence with support ought to be a full replacement of the printer.

You really don't want to keep dealing with cascading failures in a machine where you've had more than one issue come up before the first issue was corrected.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is the correct approach at the stage he is now. There is not as much you can do from a consumer perspective with these new machines. I suspect their main issues are logistics related, but that is not the consumers fault.

17. Kevin Bruckert

Except I'm stubborn. If support would confirm that I can cut the power cord open, I'd totally fix the 24v line if it isn't broken inside the actual connector. But I don't want to do anything more until then. I've also disassembled by Z-Axis+ switch to inspect if I could temporarily repair it, but no dice there. Fortunately, for testing the rest of the printer, I can easily solve it with two alligator clips. Yeah, that's how I roll. :-D

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That switch is not expensive or hard to find, I would consider replacing it yourself while you wait for them to ship you a spare :)

Although if you need the P/S too it is less of a benefit

Kevin Bruckert likes this.
  19. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Well, they do not have the Z limit switches in stock. They are having them air shipped. I would have thought this would be the same switch as the C2 and on hand. Anybody have a link to a direct replacement switch? I'll solder it on the board myself if it would be faster.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member