1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Pre Ordered Robo R2 had a couple questions

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Brothengar, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Brothengar

Brothengar New Member

Currently using a Qidi Tech 1 dual extruder , with hatchbox filament , working very well, obviously looking forward to getting a Robo R2 , I notice the house brand filament is quite expensive , almost double what im paying for hatchbox .

Anyone have a lot of experience with running robo printers with hatchbox and robo's house brand ? is it worth the extra cost ?

also any word on Robo making a SLA printer ( my next purchase ) ?

and hello! :)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

First -- welcome!
    As for filament, the R1 series will print just about anything :)
    I have not experimented as much with the C2, but it also seems to be quite forgiving and most any brand works without issues. I can't imagine the R2 is any more sensitive.

I have heard nothing about SLA/DLP or anything other than FDM printers coming from Robo HQ, but then again -- they might not tell any of us. 99% of everyone you see here is just another Robo owner/user too :)

Geof likes this.
  3. Brothengar

Brothengar New Member

Thanks , would still love to hear some hands on experience with the robo brand filament vs others, would love to justify the price :p

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I do not think it matters, the couple of rolls of no-name PLA I fed through the C2 worked fine.
    The only ones that do make a difference are the premium brands like ColorFab and only then because the filament is just perfect tolerances (physically and chemically). Most printers are not going to care :)

I would guess that the Robo filament is rebranded any way (and probably not Taulman or ColorFab, but someone else). I would doubt it matters.

There are lots of reasons to buy the good stuff starting with it just looks and works awesome and specialty ones (like wood, metal, etc) you want to be sure those are going to work. SO if you can afford it go for it. We actually experimented with some off-brand wood-fill and it was (if I am nice) total garbage.

As much as we pump through that is not meant for consumer use I am reluctant to pay any sort of premium unless I must.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

In a weird twist, my printers prefer the cheap filaments (if you want to call random Grab Bags from Makergeeks cheap) over ColorFabb.

Every sample of Colorfabb I've ever tried has resulted in a clog (using the same settings I would use for the Makergeeks equivalent), or was so full of moisture that the PLA sample in question would break as the extruder pulled it.

The only bad thing about Makergeeks is they take forever to ship an order.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Then they will refund or replace it. That is the cool thing with a good vendor. They will make it right :)

7. Brothengar

Brothengar New Member

New question, is the app only iphone ? i thought it was android to ? if thats the case i may have to cancel since it was half the reason i chose this thing

8. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I can't find it on android store, or on their webpage. Bummer. Though this page makes it sound like they should have both at some point. https://robo3d.com/robo-mobile/

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have not heard anything on the Android version, but chase it with their support folks since it WAS on the list of platforms they were working on.

Geof likes this.
  10. m4r1n5

m4r1n5 Member

At 15$ a piece if you buy 4, its worth the 7-10 days. PETG and PLA is really good to a point I don't buy Robo brand unless I want a color Makergeek don't have

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#10 m4r1n5, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2017
  11. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I've had nothing but good prints from Makergeeks filament. USA made, is a nice bonus. Ive run over 450 hours of Makergeeks on a Flashforge Creator Pro with a Flexion extruder without a single jam. They've also added more extruders to their line to keep up with demand. They're also working on a new website that will give live inventory but don't know when that will be up.