1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved x axis missing steps/ layer shifting

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Patrick Ryan, May 30, 2017.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is a current driver so voltage is less critical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  2. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Ok. So best go from what I measured at the terminal.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

So, I essentially maxed out my pot on my driver which ended up being about a current limit of 1.5 amps and it is still acting up. So I've been thinking since the driver just limits amps and power = V x I then if my voltage is dropping out it could potentially reduce the power to my steppers. Now, thinking back to when this started, I had replaced my bed with an aluminum bed since I shattered the glass bed. I put a 110v ac heater on it with an ssr. I'm just grasping at straws here but is there any chance that it could be bleeding voltage off and reducing the power to my steppers? My bed heater and stepper aren't missing steps now but the y stepper was missing steps before and I figured it was from the added weight from the aluminum so I put an 84 oz stepper in and it has been fine. But I'm wondering if somehow they aren't getting the needed voltage. Like I said I'm grasping at straws.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The RAMPS is supplying the power and I doubt the voltage is dropping. The 110v heater actually takes a big load off of the 12v supply.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  5. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Ok, like I said I was grasping at straws. I'm getting the dvr8825 drivers and going from there.

6. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

When I change over to the dvr8825 do I need to change the firmware? I went to do a test print and it is considerably smaller than it is supposed to and on the website it said something about the 1/16 step pin on the 4988 is the 1/32 step pin on the 8825.

7. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I assume I could just change the microsteps here to 32? Would I want to change the max current too while I was at it? [​IMG]

8. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Nevermind I think that section was for a completely different driver all together

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  10. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

So I think the drv8825 drivers are working for me, mostly. I started a 16 hour print yesterday and after 10 hours everything was great. But veggie I went to bed last night I increased the speed to 125% and it skipped steps over night. I only increased the current limiting you 1.8 amps so maybe I'll increase it to 2. But also my PEI sheet which is just clipped to my bed came loose so perhaps there could be an issue with the sheet moving too much during the print. Maybe I'll break down and apply the adhesive to it.

On a side note, I wanted to verify that I was actually getting the proper amperage so I brought my graphing meter and low amp probe home from work. My a4988 drivers were limiting to 1.4a and I did verify that the drv8825 drivers were limiting to 1.8 a. It is much easier checking with a low amp probe.

11. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Well I think the drv8825 stepper drivers fixed it. or I was also having a neutral issue in my home electric and spent $1600 to replace my meter box and fuse panel. haven't had any axis shift issues since