1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Community Favorite Marlin 1.1.7 Release for Robo R1, R1+PLUS & Variants

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by WheresWaldo, May 4, 2017.

1. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Well, I broke my promise and made another posting on GitHub. Buy hey - she asked me a question :)

Her replies focus on semantics and deviate from the core issues ... Do this and you'll see it works. ... We'll it doesn't really work yet. ...But we're working on it.

My head hurts already from banging it against a brick wall. You must have a concussion by now :)

What I'm really hearing is that MESH, as we've come to know it, ain't coming back. It sounds like the process will be to hunt down and edit the bad spots, rather than just build the mesh from scratch in a straight forward manner.

#61 Ed Ferguson, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson, it is a fight because it is her baby we are telling here that the baby is ugly. She defends her position and it is hard to move her off of it. I understand that mentality. When I was a Program Manager and questioned one of the developers about why they coded a feature the way they did or why it was enven included or if they even thought about how it was to be used, sometimes their feelings were hurt and it was outwardly noticeable.

My last post outlined the actual steps and time it took to do them. then asked plainly if she really thought they were equivalent processes. I did not forget to tell her that in her method I have to guess and in MESH I actually got feedback. It's not just her, she managed to talk up UBL as the best of all leveling methods with none of the drawbacks and Thinkyhead (lead contributor) drank the koolaid. So MESH is out and UBL is in.

3. Ed Ferguson

The beauty of the paper feeler gauge is, as you put it, it gives tactile feedback. No measuring, no guessing how much of a correction value to enter.

A piece of printer paper is about 0.004" thick. A conservative guess is one can get within 0.002" repeatability by feeling the resistance. The extruder lays down a 0.016" diameter bead and we want to squish that booger to around 0.008" at each point of the grid. So 0.002" repeatability in measuring each point of the grid, using a very simple & fast method, is plenty good.

I can see them wanting to automate the process for a large bed or a printer with a non-contact probe. But for a 5x5 or 7x7 mesh on a printer with no probe, they need to keep it simple. Simple also means no need to understand Gcode or be tethered to a PC.

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson based on Roxy's last response I really am restraining myself from commenting. This one statement addresses the entire issue:
    Either that or she moonlights as a House Republican.

All she is concerned with is the absolute end result and not the process needed to get there. That is the entire essence of the issue.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ed Ferguson There is hope, bgort just responded and he gets it!

Plus I couldn't help myself I responded to her comment.

6. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

Good grief, removing MESH is a terrible decision.

#66 daniel871, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well, I now have two G-Code commands that duplicate the functionality and at least the contributors are looking at the possibility of making a menu choice and LCD feedback.

mark tomlinson and Patrick Ryan like this.
  8. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Is this line in configuration.h new?
    /#define PROBING_HEATERS_OFF // Turn heaters off when probing

This would have been really useful for buildtak users.

9. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

As soon as the UBL MESH retrofit is merged into the main code I will post a set of files that is currently called Marlin 1.1.3

11. Ed Ferguson

What a difference 24 hours can make :) Developer went from "I really don't understand all the concern" to "Will this work for you?"

I'm ready to test as soon as 1.1.3 gets posted here.

12. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yep, sometimes community software development actually works.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  13. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Anyone tested the 1.1.3 version yet? I see it was released a few days ago. I am wanting to switch to MESH (I know, i know way behind times, but my printer prints so why mess it up!) but I feel like I'd be willing to try the new UBL as well. Plus I will have some free time coming up to tinker with it at work, so I thought moving to MESH/UBL would be a good idea at that time.

14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Ryan TeGantvoort If you want to use MESH then 1.1.3 is not the way to do it. Wait a few days I am sure you will see a 1.1.4 that brings a newer way of implementing MESH, that is similar in process and compatible with Unified Bed Leveling.

15. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Okay, just completed my first print with 1.1.3 and the new completely manual mesh creation. First thought, boy am I glad you only need to do mesh creation once. It was one of the most tedious tasks I have ever had to do to manual probe 100 points on the R1 bed. Now I am just dialing in the Z Offset. Printed the UBL calibration grid and it was almost perfectly even all across the bed, first time in a long time that the entire bed was perfectly trammed.

16. banolka

banolka Member

Where can I get 1.1.3 for R1 with threaded screws?

17. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@banolka You can download the Marlin files from their GITHUB then you can modify the configuration files yourself if you want 1.1.3 now. Alternatively you can wait until I get around to doing it for the community, I am in no rush to publish a set of files based on 1.1.3 as there are still many issues with the current source files.

Robert55, Sean Carson and Geof like this.
  18. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I have been monitoring the GITHUB posted issues surrounding 1.1.3 version of Marlin. Their use of non-traditional programming conventions (I am being generous here) has risen to bite them all you know where. There are a lot of broken parts, so I am going to stop looking at the state of Marlin 1.1.3 and suggest that most do the same. Instead I will now only check every two weeks instead of daily. So unless you want to modify Marlin yourself, please do not expect there to be any files from me added to this thread before the end of June.

bamhm182, Sean Carson and Geof like this.
  19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Well, something actually works! I just configured UBL to manually create a mesh! So here arte the files.

I only tested this with manual mesh creation. The steps to manually create a mesh requires an LCD controller of some kind or another. Make sure you start with a clean deck
    Code:
    M502
    M500
    Then from the LCD you can go to Prepare >> Unified Bed Leveling >> Manually Prepare Mesh. When you are done don't forget to Activate mesh and Save mesh.

I did not try to automatically generate the mesh, but if this works, as it does, my assumption is that auto-generating should work. If someone that wants to test UBL and write up a quick walk-through please do so. So, with UBL working I will no longer be generating a file set that uses Automatic Bed Leveling (ABL).

Two very visual differences you would notice from default Marlin. UBL here uses an 8 x 8 mesh instead of 10 x 10. Also, hopming happens at the front corner of the bed, instead of the middle.

Attached Files:

bamhm182, danzca6 and Ed Ferguson like this.
  20. Ed Ferguson

Good deal. And I assume the mesh is automatically active when you re-start the Robo?

Also, could you post your start code?