1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Z calibration wizard not working

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Leander Kahney, May 31, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

I would send multiple emails every few days. Ive had issues with them not responding to some of my email at all and would have to send another one. I think the emails are some how slipping through the cracks. Also set up an appointment online like Mark said that way when they video chat you your able to show proof of the issue without them responding back with something else to try that probably wont work. It took i think about 3 weeks from my first email sent and video chat before they decided to replace it.

By the way thats for the C2 i dont have the R2

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. Kevin Bruckert

To give everyone an update on my issues... I've gotten a response that they've accepted my warranty claim, and will send me the broken parts when they get them. For the door, some glue is holding the hinge together for now, so that's not a show-stopper. I've ordered a replacement switch from Amazon, but in the meantime, I have two alligator clips that I can use to "open" and "close" the switch. So not a show-stopper either.

Since they've already acked my power supply is defective, I decided to do a failure analysis on it. Not really Robo's fault, nor was it shipping. The vendor who manufactures the power cord that goes from inside the power supply to the 4-pin power connector on the back of the Robo3D failed to properly solder the blue power line to the pins. Instead, the solder created a small solder ball that, when the cord was held correctly, pressed against the power pins and supplied power. But once the power card started to be used (unplugged to move the printer, etc), it lost the ability to make contact with the pins. That explains why it worked so well when I *first* plugged it in, but became very flaky for a bit before quitting completely.

Tomorrow, I'll re-solder the blue wire on, wrap it all up in electrical tape, and see if I can't get sign-of-life back. :)

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  3. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Received response from CS. He told me to glue a toothpick to the switch as a temporary fix until a replacement arrives. Really? Stupid! The switch a damaged bad enough that the button does not depress. I ordered a new switch that'll be here this weekend. I'll solder it I myself and get this machine up and running.

Attached Files:

4. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I can see where he was coming from, you have to remember they cant see and touch your machine. Likely thought the level was just gone and that suggestion would get you running.

I agree with ordering a new switch as long as you still have the warranty work going through :D.

5. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

How was this supposed to work, exactly?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Taping it across the button maybe? Hard to say, but at best it is a temporary fix :)
    Sadly not as temporary as it should be -- they probably are back ordered on everything R2/C2 specific.
    When the C2 was let out, that was not surprising, but with the R2 out it is disappointing.

edit: vinyl cement might have worked -- it is flexible. still .. not an end-user applicable idea

7. daniel871

I was thinking specifically about how hard it would be to get a toothpick to work at all with the internals of the switch since it is non-conductive (or at least not conductive enough for the low power usage of a switch).

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No it would be for the button on top -- not the contacts
    You are missing how the switch is installed and mounted.

Geof likes this.
  9. daniel871

That switch is pretty well broken either way so it doesn't matter much.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

this is the actual answer.

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd imagine if you cut out the plastic that is holding the button stuck and made a level out of something...its possible it would function short term while warranty parts are sent. Then again could be a bust all around and it wont work but defiantly worth a short if you want the machine running now vs later. Just be cautious if you go that route, you'll want to make sure that each time it goes to that switch you are there in case it doesn't activate.

12. daniel871

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. More importantly a plain switch with no board would work and that is exactly what is in the C2. Just the switch, no board.

Not sure why they complicated it with the board...

14. daniel871

The board has an LED that lights up whenever the desired action is "true" (circuit opened/closed).

Whether that feature is actually used is another thing entirely.

15. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Robo R2 Microswitch.jpg

The R2 switches are the smallest I've ever seen - they look like they would break if you just look at them. Probably last OK if they survive the shipping from China. The circuit board only functions to hold a connector which simplifies assembly. Those Amazon switches look larger and more robust. Probably could be retrofitted onto the R2 with a 3D printed adapter bracket.

Geof likes this.
  16. Kevin Bruckert

My Robo R2 is now performing it's first test print. Ordered a bag of 6 .5" micro switches from Amazon, which arrived today. Replaced the one switch, which fit perfectly, and of course my hack job on the power supply. I'll share pictures later. Hopefully, the test print works. I have *no* luck with 3D printers, so this is par for the course with me. ;)

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Received my switches today. Soldered new one to the board and reinstalled. Maybe a 5 minute fix. Running the test print now. Glad we can finally move foreword and get to know this machine.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

19. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Warp - Good to hear. Do you have the Amazon link for the switches? I plan to slowly accumulate some spare parts - 'cause you never know :)

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That you will need them? Hah, you know. WHEN now ... that is the rub :)

Todd Wessendorf and Geof like this.