1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Best carriage design

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Sean Carson, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I've found a few carriage designs online for the titan extruder. They place the stepper in different places. The one I use now has the stepper in the center, between the bars. I saw another that placed the stepper motor on the opposite side of the carriage from where the belt attached to move it along the bars.

I'm confused about the best place to put that mass, since we can't possibly distribute it evenly. Wouldn't it be best to have it center or right on top of the bar in the rear by the belt attachment point? Why put it up front?

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Any which way you go will likely be fine. There isn't a ton of weight and to even space everything you would have to offset everything to get the motor in the center (not possible). For what its worth I use the Yeggi mount on thingiverse for my titan in my other R1+, works fine, no complaints.

KTMDirtFace and Sean Carson like this.
  3. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I'm using eehrhard's carriage now. I like the tstarjengineering one but the placement of the stepper has me concerned about small, rapid movements.

I want to build a carriage with a nice cooling option built into it and looking at some of these existing designs, I'm trying to figure out why they did what they did.

4. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

5. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Yogi's design shifts the hotend off center. Doesn't that take away from your print area? At the very least, it would shift it out of the heated area more.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Well, the actual heated area is already so small that it has always been ineffective on very large prints that take up the entire bed, ort prints that are along the front or back edge. The shift with this extruder is about 7.5 mm

KTMDirtFace and Geof like this.
  7. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I mean a little bit, but I dont even use a heated bed anymore. so I don't care. ( aluminum bed with lexan now ).. If I put a heater on its going to cover it regardless.

Don't think it would make much difference regardless.