1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Heated Bed Design

Discussion in 'Show and Tell' started by Ed Ferguson, Jun 1, 2017.

1. pclabtech

pclabtech Active Member

This comes from the official "Documentation" that was posted earlier:

Cleaning the print bed surface
    • The Robo R2 print bed surface is a sheet of PEI. Make sure to clean it with a damp cloth to ensure your print sticks to its surface.
    • After 4-6 months of use, you may need to retexture this sheet if you see that your prints are not sticking to it. To do this, simply grab some 2000 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the surface, afterwards cleaning it off with a damp cloth. Ensure that the print sheet is laid completely flat on the build platform, and that it is flush and level across the surface.
    • If you would like, you can order more R2 print beds at www.robo3d.com.
    • When removing and replacing the entire print bed, double check that its magnets align with the magnets on the platform to ensure it is seated correctly and plug in the power cord in the back of the bed. Build platforms that aren’t seated correctly will result in failed prints.

2. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Yes, probably follow the Prusa instructions as they did a good job explaining the best method I have seen. Odd the at the robo PEI is so shiny and thing compared to my Prusa sheets.

I should have the Gecko sheets in August, looking forward to playing with those. I really prefer borosilicate beds, I have one machine that is pushing 4,000 hours now on the same glass bed (two more pushing 2,000 hours already). PEI on the Prusa to me is still a mystery, I bought some borosilicate for it, but that darn Pinda probe! Maybe I should pop it in the Robo!!! BRB going to experiment!

3. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Robo R2 Borosilicate Test_2.jpg

Robo R2 Borosilicate Test.jpg

I did not fully clean the glass, so the print is peeling up a bit, just running the stock Robo Benchy file. Print is probably got enough adhesion to finish. Then I will wash and clean the glass correctly. The auto leveling worked fine, I do need to fine tune it.

Once I get the bent rods fixed, I will be really happy! Now I need to design a holder for the glass... ;)

Edit: This is a Prusa Mk1 borosilicate bed I do think, not a Mk2 as it is a tad bit smaller. I will look up where I bought it to be sure, 3mm thick.

4. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

... "If you would like, you can order more R2 print beds at www.robo3d.com."

I hope they mean order more PEI sheets and not the entire bed! Bed assembly looks like it would be very expensive.

I made a small minor gouge on mine just by removing a part by hand. If people start using the metal spatula that came with the R2 then I expect some complaints to follow.

BTW - I've been doing a wipe-down with alcohol & a paper towel after each print. The paper towel adds some very fine scratches to the sheet which seems to help.

Yeah - I'd like to know how the PEI sheet is bonded to the bed and if it is intended to be removed. If it's supposed to be permanent then I'll be looking for a way to attach a removable surface. I think it would be an easy mod. And bed leveling is not a major concern - the IR probe routine on every print job seems to do a very good job.

#24 Ed Ferguson, Jun 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd imagine since the machine was built towards a consumer level and not a hobbyist level that they do in fact mean the assembly. (also assume they will sell you PEI if you ask them) but when reading the instructions it walks you through unplugging the old one, removing and plugging in the new one. Might be worth a email to ask them ?

6. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Im curious is this a custom bed design by Robo meaning the heated bed plate is not sold somewhere else only robo has this design or is there somewhere to buy heated beds like this from? I like the way its removable and connects via the pins.

7. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Only thing I have seen would be the Gecko beds, but those use your current PCB board and only the build plate itself is held by magnets. The Robo design reminds me a bit of my Form 2, just swap in a new plate and press play.

Geof likes this.
  8. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Even though I'm a huge fan of "open source parts" my mindset has been changed a bit having a bunch of Zortrax machines (proprietary parts). you have to stock more in parts but each part is exactly the same as the last :D

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Like the R1/R1+ beds I imagine this is single-sourced.
    There was a rare case of the R1 bed showing up on AliExpress (very briefly).