1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Strange print issue, anyone know what could have caused this?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sterling baldwin, Jun 3, 2017.

1. sterling baldwin

sterling baldwin New Member

I started my first high quality print last night before going to bed (expected print time: 16 hours). When I checked this morning I was very impressed with the quality of the print. Honestly much better then I was expecting!

The only issue is that somewhere around 70% of the way through the job, the printer decided to move over about 1cm. The upper part of the print continued like normal, but strangely offset. I checked the gcode thinking maybe it was a slicing error, but everything looks fine. I think this was some strange software error in the printer itself, but have no idea. I checked USGS, no earthquakes and no brownouts in my area. Any ideas what could have caused this? IMG_20170603_091354_2.jpg IMG_20170603_091348_2.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is a physical belt slip/skip.
    On the older R1 series that would be a loose belt or drive cog or something getting in the way (like a cable bundle) blocking movement when printing.

You can check the belt drives and drive cogs (they are a little harder to get to)

Geof likes this.
  3. sterling baldwin

Anything I can do to avoid this? I started another print and it seems to be going fine. One of the belts seems to have a bit more slack in it then the others, but I have no idea how to adjust the belt tension.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I do not see an easy way to do that on the C2 (and the R2 is probably the same). They have blocks that the ends of the belt are terminated into, but I don't see an easy way to disassemble and tighten them.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

In most of my gantry systems a bit of difference in tension is ok, I'd check the timing pulley set screws

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Gantry is much more forgiving

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

If it did not skip a tooth, I have seen the nozzle get stuck just enough to cause the stepper to skip. Once it skips it will remain off for the rest of the print. Also had bad gcode, just last week S3D was causing something similar. I tried the print twice and both times it acted like what you see, but on the same exact layer.

8. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Sometimes it is bad code, S3D isn't perfect, but try this first, if it is always at the same layer and you might suspect slicer code, move the model from the center of the bed and rotate it a few degrees. Many times that will change the sliced code significantly enough that it will correct any slicer generated issues.

jwmueller and Geof like this.
  9. sterling baldwin

I'll try the print again after a slight rotation and see if it happens again, will post results.

10. Chad Gasaway

Chad Gasaway New Member

Quick question. Did you ever pause the print? The only time I ran into this issue on my R2 was after resuming a print.

11. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

My machine will not even resume a print once I hit pause, I have to reboot the whole machine. What issue did you have?

12. Chad Gasaway

Chad Gasaway New Member

My machine will resume but the print shifted like Sterlings.