1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Converting C2 into the FT-5

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by colton81, Jun 5, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

yea i figured it was something like that. I figured out how to change the pin configurations in marlin but now when i hit Home it will go to the Y max and Z max but the X axis will stop about 30mm before the endstop so trying to figure out what is going on.

i just swapped the Max and Min pin#
    #define X_STEP_PIN 54
    #define X_DIR_PIN 55
    #define X_ENABLE_PIN 38
    #define X_MIN_PIN 2
    #ifndef X_MAX_PIN
    #define X_MAX_PIN 3
    #endif

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@colton81 This is one of those instances where you really need to take @mark tomlinson advice and learn as much as you can about Marlin. This is especially true as you are doing something out of the ordinary and basically just to benefit your situation and not the Robo user base in general.

People familiar with Marlin here have their hands full just modifying and testing on their Robo printers. Keep us apprised of your progress but don't expect there will be a lot of help from the group here.

This is just me thinking out loud.

Geof likes this.
  3. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Completely understand just posting up if someone happens to know but i am doing more research and ive started getting a better understanding so far heres what ive gotten.

After changing the pins in the pin.h file for the min and max endstop and also enabling the X plug in config.h and disabling the X min plug it will home correctly but when doing G29 i get back Echo:home x y before z
    Not sure whats going on but i am looking more into it cant seem to find in the auto bed level if its trying to see the x min trigger instead of x max.

If i put the x endstop back to min G29 will work correctly so i know it has to be trying to see the x min trigger just have to find out where in marlin i can change from x min to x max.

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

If it actually triggers at the MAX positions I think you need to look at this section of Configuration.h
    Code:
    // Specify here all the endstop connectors that are connected to any endstop or probe.
    // Almost all printers will be using one per axis. Probes will use one or more of the
    // extra connectors. Leave undefined any used for non-endstop and non-probe purposes.
    #define USE_XMIN_PLUG
    #define USE_YMIN_PLUG
    #define USE_ZMIN_PLUG
    //#define USE_XMAX_PLUG
    //#define USE_YMAX_PLUG
    //#define USE_ZMAX_PLUG
    and this section
    Code:
    // Direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
    // :[-1,1]
    #define X_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Y_HOME_DIR -1
    #define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Geof likes this.
  5. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea i changed the use_xmin_plug and disabled it and enabled the use_xmax_plug also tried changing the x_home_dir to 1 but still wont auto bed level it does trigger the x max properly but im assuming autobed level is lookong for x min

6. colton81

colton81 Active Member

On the mainboard there is a connector in the corner that has a pwr in label on 2 pins and then next to it says bed pwr in. Any idea if the pwr in connector actually powers the board instead of using the barrel jack?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nope. That board is powered by 19v too don't forget, not 12v.

There is zero actual documentation available on that board which is why customizing with it is ... a rather hard way to go.

Geof likes this.
  8. colton81

colton81 Active Member

well before i read this i tried it out with my atx 500 watt psu and it worked. I did forget that it has 19v input instead of 12 but so far everything seemed to work not sure what effect only 12v would have on it but all motors were moving like they were before.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Bad idea :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you run it at 12v you will cause the drivers to use more current. For things like the heater core this is b.a.d.

Geof likes this.
  11. colton81

colton81 Active Member

so using a different psu is out of the question then?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Just use a 19v. One .. if there is a way to jumper it for other voltages then like most other things on that board it is undocumented. Just understand it is designed for that voltage.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Keeps your fire risk to a mnimum

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed. If it were me (and I know its not) I would likely search out a different mainbord and powersupply to use. At the very least (like @mark tomlinson pointed out ) get the correct V powersupply, you dont want to starve electronics for power...it causes some... unwanted issues....

15. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea I completely agree im just going to keep the same psu on it. i did notice sowmthing strange and maybe im not understanding it completely but i connected my multimeter to the power in prongs on the board when powered on through the original psu and found that its putting out 20v then i connected it to the - and + on the power in for bed and it was showin 200v which cant be right? Connected it to the heated bed prongs and got the same reading. Not sure why its showing that much power.

A side not that i noticed was that when i was putting in 12v last night the raspberry pi screen would turn on but it would stay on a white screen nothing else but with the original psu on it it would power up just fine. Probably from not enough voltage like you all were saying.

16. colton81

colton81 Active Member

By the way i was measuring in dc not ac

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Cant explain the 200V.... but I can tell you that incorrect voltage does some insane stuff you wouldn't believe.

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can see reading 20v off of the line, it is probably not the worlds top-of-the-line regulator in the power brick.
    The other readings are probably bogus reading... dropped a decimal point or something :)

Geof likes this.
  19. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Thats what i figured. I contacted robo support regarding the mainboard and was told that the 19v power input isnt stepped down which i was wishing it was. And that adding a heated bed the current power supply cant handle it which i figured. But they did say i could add a bigger power supply to support the heated bed. Im assuming they are meaning keeping at at the 19v but getting higher amps for a higher wattage.

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes. That is what they mean. Also get a bed heater rated at 19v. Many are rated 12/24v so that might work. Or use a relay and a separate supply.