1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Refurbished R1 + Prints like poop

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by SaBoTaGe, Jun 15, 2017.

1. SaBoTaGe

SaBoTaGe New Member

I just received this and have had nothing but problems from the start ..Loading the filament was Problem 1 right out of the box and then a bad clog .. Now it prints like hell on the calibration box preloaded the bottom layer does not look good and the top finishing layer looks horrible as in not smooth and caved in some spots ...Is there any magic tweaking settings that I can use to get a good solid print?? I have simply3d and the matter control that came with it and either are printing well..Please help me out..Thanks for stopping by!! Cheers

2. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

First off, since you have S3D, ditch MatterControl and never look back. Also a picture is worth a thousand words

3. SaBoTaGe

SaBoTaGe New Member

Top and bottom

Attached Files:

4. SaBoTaGe

SaBoTaGe New Member

the bubbly pic is the top and the semi smooth one with some scrapes is the bottom layer..i used hair spray and 52 degrees heat bed temp and 214 extruder temp .

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The bubbly pic is because ...

1) printing a bit hot
    2) not printing enough top/bottom layers

Print a temperature test tower if you need to find you sweet spot for that type of filament (heck it can vary between spools, but get it ballpark)

Something like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2131069

There are a lot of variations, pick one you like.

Once your temperature is good add more top/bottom layers... the default for may slicers is 3 and at 0.2mm that is a joke.

6. Ryan TeGantvoort

This was my first thought from the pictures. In S3D, I typically use a minimum of 5 Top and Bottom Layers and 5 Perimeters

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

People trust the factory print numbers and usually figure "what the heck, pick the middle of the range"
    I have one printer that prints PLA at 175c and another at 195c and another at 185c... well, you get the idea :)
    The sweet spot varies by printer/filament type for sure but somewhat by spool.

8. Ryan TeGantvoort

190c is the sweet spot on mine....even with this PLA+ that supposedly needs a higher temperature to print but that is absolutely not true. I'm still printing with the exact same settings I use with PLA.