1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Robo R2: Filament Detection Falsely Being Activated (is anyone else having this issue?)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 24FXV, Jun 2, 2017.

1. 24FXV

24FXV New Member

I just got my Robo R2 today and aside from the shipment damages , I ran the printer for a test print and the filament detection goes off regardless of the fact that I have a full spool of filament plugged in. A customer support representative told me to schedule an appointment, however, none are available until next Tuesday and I was hoping to begin making prints as soon as possible. Can someone help me resolve this issue? Perhaps even help me turn off the filament detection service until I find further support to fix it. Thanks!

2. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

Your question is in the Robo R1 Forum. You'll get better help in the future posting in the Robo R2 section below.

First, make sure your filament is running through the left hole of the sensor (left as you are facing the front of the printer). Won't work in the right side hole.

If that is not the issue then you should be able to disable the filament sensor. This link is to an online support manual for the Robo R2. Look under Troubleshooting > Filament Runout Sensor Error
    http://docs.robo3d.com/en/latest/R2/Troubleshooting/index.html#filament-runout-sensor-error

#2 Ed Ferguson, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Moved the thread

edit: That link is awesome :)

Ed Ferguson likes this.
  4. Paul Pangrazzi

Paul Pangrazzi New Member

I just fixed my z-limit switch and tried to do my first print, the test print from the built in storage... unfortunately I've run into the same issue... the filament sensor insists there's no filament every layer or so. I tried to read the docs in the link above, but it's a 404.

Any suggestions on how to disable the filament sensor on the R2? I haven't been able to get a single print off this machine after nearly two weeks. Bummed out.

5. Ed Ferguson

Paul - That link did expire. I edited my post above just now to show the new link to the Robo support page.

Look under Troubleshooting > Filament Runout Sensor Error

http://docs.robo3d.com/en/latest/R2/Troubleshooting/index.html#filament-runout-sensor-error

6. Paul Pangrazzi

7. Paul Pangrazzi

Argh. It was totally my fault... I had the filament coming off the spool and going through the left side hole (when facing the rear.) When I fed the filament through the right hand hole, it works. Duh!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

8. Ed Ferguson

:) Yeah - they should have put a temporary plug in the hole for the 2nd extruder.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They should not have ever put the hole there.
    If they intended to use it they would have already had a switch there for the 2nd extruder :)
    Having people replace that part as part of a 2nd extruder "kit" is lame.

10. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

I had the sensor fail in the middle of a 14 hour print. It seems the only way to get Octoprint to recognize the change in this plugin is to restart - which I assume means print is trashed.
    So, which is worse, sitting by the printer and pressing resume every 10 mins for the next 7 hours, or wasting all the filament and time and restarting?
    bad design

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is the price you pay for run out sensors. If they break then you get what you saw.
    I am not sure why they went with the IR ones rather than the more simple (IMHO) mechanical switches, but even those will fail at some point :) The one improvement I intend to add in at some point is a mechanical override switch so that I can flip it and the sensor is bypassed. I never added a run out sensor to any of our other FDM printers and we went years without any major headaches :)

(yes, restarting the print will be destructive).

Geof likes this.
  12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Just temporarily disable the detection. Point browser of choice to your R2, Select Settings >> Plugin Manager scroll a page to Filament Sensor and disable it, click the filled in circle. Don't delete it so you can re-enable it later when the hardware issue is solved.

mark tomlinson likes this.