1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Converting C2 into the FT-5

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by colton81, Jun 5, 2017.

1. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Im hooking up my 24v psu and i have 14 gauge wire but on the wire it says max 10 amp im assuming this is fine for the mainboard but not my heater? My psu is a 24v 21A 500W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. colton81

colton81 Active Member

By the way crimping these jst connectors is a nightmare! The crimper i have i bought specifically for my PC wiring and the connectors are so small i cant really crimp them. Im about to just solder the C2 connectors for the main board onto the instead of crimping

3. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@colton81 Stop futzing around with the wrong tools, you are making double work for yourself. Get a proper crimper for those micro-connectors like this one:

[​IMG]

Engineer PA-09 from Amazon
    Precision made in Japan crimping tool made specifically for these smaller connector types. There is a larger PA-20 also.

4. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Well the one i have does all the way to 24awg i finally got them i was crimping it wrong lol i got everything but the hot end which i didnt realize is a different size jst connector so now im gonna have to wait untill monday to get those in. Going to just bypass the board on the carriage and run it straight to the mainboard untill i get those in.

By the way i connected my 24v psu which was putting out about 24.8v and the board fired up didnt run anything but left it on for about 10mins and didnt see or smell anything so seems to be working. Will find out first thing in the morning to see if the stepper motors run good.

5. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Actually i think im going to buy those crimpers because it is still a little difficult trying to use the ones i have.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Don't be the guy who only has a hammer and thinks everything is a nail.
    Get the right tools :)

MChrisP1 likes this.
  7. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Unfortunately I am that guy lol but working with this printer I need to make sure I do it right. Dont want the house burning down!

8. colton81

colton81 Active Member

[​IMG]

So far got the board mounted and most of it wired up still need to finish installing the last endstops and assembling the carriage again

9. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

You know, sometimes I've used the handle side of my needle-nosed pliers to crimp things. On mine, there's a small gap between the handles and it's got hella leverage back there. And I've got one of these that I dearly love. Again, you can crimp things there on the handle side.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The Robo C2 uses pretty much JST connectors exclusively (not all the same size, mind you) as I found out when I tore mine apart and added the second extruder.

11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I found this chart a while ago, might be helpful to verify crimps when using the PA-09 or PA-20 crimp tools

Without seeing a board in hand, it looks like most of the connections for endstops and thermistors are using what are commonly referred to as Dupont header connectors. they are based on .1" spacing (2.54 mm). I believe the actually connectors are Molex KK

Attached Files:

#111 WheresWaldo, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. colton81

colton81 Active Member

That chart does help thanks for that. Like Mark was saying the majority are jst connection and like you were saying dupont header connectors. The heater core is a jst eh connector and i believe so is the auto bed level. I had to order a new heater core should be in by Tuesday and will need to order the crimps for the jst eh connector. Once i get that everything will be up and running besides the heated bed which i have to print out a box to house the mossfett for the bef hater then i will get all that hooked up and see how it goes.

13. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I am pretty sure most boards use JST-XH or JST-XHP not JST-EH. Steppers, if they have socketed wires use JST-PH on the stepper end.

14. colton81

colton81 Active Member

She's alive!

OutsourcedGuru likes this.
  15. colton81

colton81 Active Member

If you look at marks thread on adding second extruder he points out that the connectors for the heater core takes the JST-EH connectors i dont get why they did this because these seem like they aren't the norm. Amazon doesnt even sell them so i will have to wait longer to get them.

16. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

I went back to look at @mark tomlinson's thread and what Robo calls the Uptown Adapter uses JST-EH but their controller board doesn't use any of them. This just doesn't make much sense unless it was purely for cost savings.

17. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Yea the controller uses the screw terminal blocks. I could run the wire straight from the heater core to the board but the uptown adapter blocks anyway of doing this. I wish i could find some adapters similar to the uptown ones so when i redesign the carriage to fit my printer i could eliminate at least one of the adapters and the use of the jst-eh connector

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

All of the JST-EH connectors I identified were in the hotend assembly/effector/whatever you want to call it and the wiring to it. Not on the circuit board.

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

20. colton81

colton81 Active Member

Got everything hooked up and now the extruder motor just keeps skipping. Removed the wire attached to a spare i had and the same thing happened it doesn't actually spin it just skips over and over. I swapped the connector thinking i had it backwards and still the same. Any idea?