1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Apply Robo customizations to new Cura?

Discussion in 'Software' started by holmes4, Apr 26, 2017.

1. holmes4

holmes4 Member

Ultimaker released Cura 2.5 and I wanted to try it. I found how to copy the printer configuration from Robo's custom version, but I can't get the Octoprint plugin to load. I've copied the Octoprint plugin folder to the new Cura's plugins folder and restarted Cura, but it just doesn't see it. Supposedly that's all that's needed. What am I missing?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Hmm, someone may have fiddled with that. I used 2.4 briefly only to test some dual-extrusion stuff and then dumped it.
    I am sure that there are some C2 users on here using Cura though so one of them may have tried this version.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

worst case if nobody steps in I might can be convinced to go back and reinstall Cura and give it a try :)
    Not really a fan of that program.

4. Pierworker

Pierworker New Member

Did you have any issues when installing Cura 2.5? I download the software and when I try to open it, literally nothing happens.

5. holmes4

holmes4 Member

Are you talking about the installer or Cura once installed? On one of my PCs I had an issue where Cura for Robo would display the splash screen, some startup messages, and then disappear. It wasn't until I installed Cura 2.5 that Cura for Robo started working on that system. On two other PCs (all running Windows 10), both worked fine.

6. robodobo

robodobo New Member

I could not install the Robo software for C2 on a PC either -- also it's unsigned and its relation to the Cura fork on Robo's website is dubious. So I gave up.

Instead, I bought Simplify3D. Then I could print, but the software didn't impress me and I got a refund.

I installed Cura 2.5 (from Ultimaker) on a Linux box. I am in fact very happy with Cura since version 2.3. To print, I save the gcode file, drag the file from a Files (file explorer) to a browser pointing to the IP of the C2 to upload. (I could have done the same in Windows of course.) I fished out the two C2 files needed from the broken Windows installation (robo_c2.def.json and roboc2.stl) for Cura to recognize C2 and placed them where they go on Linux. I'm pretty happy with this set-up. With the R1 I'd print directly from Cura, but I haven't ventured into USB connections yet for the C2.

I am still at a loss why Robo 3D even tries to sell the C2. Hardware and software are in an alpha state. It's annoying.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The C2 hardware is leaps and bound ahead of the R series (it is a far more sturdy design mechanically).
    I am disappointed in the price point, but... I do not know their business.
    Still you can buy the R1+ and add the Pi and LCD from the C2 (I described this in a project thread, you can even use the RoboOS) and have a decent printer :)

8. Pierworker

Pierworker New Member

Ah, sorry, I missed the part about using a PC, I'm having issues on a mac.

9. holmes4

holmes4 Member

I tried again with the latest Cura. This time I just copied the RoboC2 .json files, fired up Cura and added the C2 as a printer. Everything worked, including Octoprint.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Don't know if this is still an issue...

...but do you have to download or otherwise turn this plugin on?

11. holmes4

holmes4 Member

I don't know about materials, but I did not have to import any plugins to get Octoprint to work in Cura 2.6.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Probably a sign that Cura is improving :)

13. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

Looks like they had a plugin naming issue... (read StefanKi's post) but that's supposed to be fixed. It might be also necessary to update the OctoPrint plugin to the same version as well.