1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Titan Areo Upgrade Prusa Style

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Patrick Ryan, May 21, 2017.

1. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

**Note I haven't tested these designs yet, I just upgraded to an aluminum bed after my glass bed shattered and now my stepper took a crap so I'm waiting on a new stepper. But I figured if anyone wanted to try this they can go for it. So here is the run down on my design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2335310

My goal with this was to maximize usable Z height while not sacrificing any X or Y print area. I also wanted to have a clean design that fully utilized the Areo fan setup. In order to do this, I felt I needed to change to a Prusa style X axis. I also tried to incorporate some of the popular upgrades into the design. So, here is a rundown of the design:

Prusa style X axis Redesign:

For this I took from this , https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2022223/#files, and I combined it with the counter weight upgrade, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2213625. When putting this together I recommend bolting up the motor to the right side part and weighing it with a kitchen scale and then add pennies to the left side until they both weigh the same and then use CA glue to lock the pennies in place.
    E3D TITAN AERO UPGRADE v2 iDLER v5.png E3D TITAN AERO UPGRADE v2 iDLER v6.jpg E3D TITAN AERO UPGRADE v2 motor v3.jpg E3D TITAN AERO UPGRADE v2 motor v4.jpg
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Carriage:

With the carriage, there are a lot of considerations to take into account. Maximizing useable Z height while minimizing X and Y losses, Parts cooling, belt tension, wire organization, aesthetics and so on. The

ROBO TITAN AREO CARRAIGE  v13.jpg
    Wire Organization:

First thing is I made it receive the same chain link wire loom that is used in this chassis, https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1557214/#files, it’s the same chain chassis and chain link I was using before. Also in the realm of wire organization, I placed a couple of hole in the side of the chassis that you can run a zip tie through so you can neatly organize the wires from the extruder fan, heater and thermistor.
    ROBO TITAN AREO CARRAIGE  side view.jpg
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Parts Cooling:

I ended up incorporating the parts cooling fan into the chassis in an attempt to make everything fit in a nice clean package. Here is a cross section view.

ROBO TITAN AREO CARRAIGE  fan back.png ROBO TITAN AREO CARRAIGE v11.png
    Belt Tensioner:

I wanted to incorporate a couple of options for belt tension. Many people like the zip tie method which compatible with this but you can also use the designed belt tensioner which uses two bolts to tighten.

Titan Areo Carraige tensioner Block v2.jpg ROBO TITAN AREO CARRAIGE  v13 back.png ROBO TITAN AREO CARRAIGE  belt tensioner.png
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When printing the chassis, I recommend printing it on its side and placing your own supports as trying to take out the supports where the parts cooling fan duct is would be difficult. I also have a chassis for regular bearings and the quiet bushings. I also provide a file for a X axis leveling tool. I print 2 out and snap them on the X axis rods on opposite ends and do a quick paper level.

Well there it is I hope you like it. If you have any suggestions or if you try it let me know your results. I will update with my results as soon as I get back up and running.

#1 Patrick Ryan, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Jim Leoanrd likes this.
  2. Jim Leoanrd

Jim Leoanrd New Member

This looks like a clean solution. Did you get yours up and running?

Patrick Ryan likes this.
  3. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

Working on it now. I have updated the designs after finding a couple of problems. I should hopefully have it up and running in a couple weeks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk