1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

R2 Click and Snapping Sounds

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Echoshard, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

Hello,

I am having some odd clicks and snapping sounds coming from the printer. Here are some videos

Do I need to tighten something or is it broken?

2. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Videos not visible, maybe private.

It's normal to hear clicks especially on the Z axis, that's from the balls falling onto each other in the linear bearings.

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your videos are not showing.

4. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

Fixed it Sorry about that it's on the X/Y Axis not the Z

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks to be on the x movement on the left side. I'd check to ensure the nothing is "flopping" around. You will have to isolate whats making that noise. when your print is done move it manually left and right and see if you can feel or see where its coming from and post some pictures of that.

6. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

See that's the really odd thing it only seems to happen while printing. I used the motor controls to try and do it myself it's whisper quite. I will take another look however in a few hours when it finishes.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

interesting. You'll have to get down in there while printing to figure out whats clicking. My guess would be the gantry isn't square and its the bearings clicking a bit. May be worth a check?

8. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

I take it theirs no good manual for disassembly is there?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

No but you dont need to disassemble you just need to measure the distance from the X rods to Y rods to the hotend travel rods and vise versa and ensure everything is square at the front and back of the rods. I dont have a R2 but I have ALOT of gantry style machines and that is how I do it. If its not square I loosen the set screws on the timing pulleys and push pull gently until it is square then lock them down, check the other movement axis do the same then do that whole process 2 or 3 more times until everything is perfect (perfect enough for me anyway :p ) lol

10. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

I've had a similar click (not all the time) on my R2. Turned out to be the extruder while retracting.

That may be why you don't hear the noise when moving the axis via the LCD controls.

While printing, take a close look at the shaft on the extruder and see if it quickly reverses direction when you hear the click.

11. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

So I was finally able to get it to reproduce the click. It requires me to go all the way from Zero to max on the X Axis. It clicks on any Y axis. and it will only creak on the positive X swing. I have investigated all the motors and gantry nothing seems out of place.

I squared it the best that I could but it still creaks at 124 MM every time.

12. Ed Ferguson

Just for fun, unplug the cable from the top of the extruder and also remove the filament. Then re-test. Because I swear I was also getting some clicks that sounding like the cable was binding at a certain spot. I have not tried this and of course this assumes the printer will not error out with the cable removed.

13. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

Thanks Ed,

I tried all that and it did nothing vibration wise it seems like it's like the snap inside case..

14. Ed Ferguson

Loose bearing maybe? I've never taken my printer apart, but thought I read on this forum that someone had taken their top frame assembly off. Here's a photo from the assembly line.

R2 top frame assembly.jpg

15. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

I kinda don't want to risk that I could damage the printer more. I will send an email to support.

16. Ed Ferguson

I don't blame you :) Please report back on what they recommend.

17. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Just got a similar noise... tangled filament on spool completely blocking supply and causing the extruder teeth to click on the filament's grooves.

BLKFLD and OutsourcedGuru like this.
  18. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

Yea I don't think this actually anything on the extruder, Even with the filament entirely clear it still makes those noises Great you were able to fix yours though!

19. Echoshard

Echoshard New Member

So I spent a good day disassembling the entire extruder assembly. Oiled it put it back together. After sacrificing a few goats it's up and printing again!

I thought I was in the clear but it still clicks I will let you know what support decides to do with it.

20. Ed Ferguson

My R2 extruder has clicked noticeably on occasion if the bed Z offset calibration is not correct. If the first layer positions the nozzle too close to the bed, back pressure will make the extruder click.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.