1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Layering issue suddenly

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mark J., Jul 1, 2017.

1. Mark J.

Mark J. New Member

hey all. I find myself in need of some help. I last used my printer in Februrary and it printed my hatchbox pla great. I recently tried to use another type of pla for a specific project (transparent green) and it didn't print right. Think the object might have been to small in scale. Now I am trying to print with my hatchbox again and having a layering issue. Assuming something may be wrong I printed a calibration cube and made it taller in case it was a z axis issue. The bracer piece I printed has a noticeable defect as it goes up (printed it vertically). Normally I might try reinforcement but it just pulls apart in these locations. I am currently printing a calibration circle that is 6cm tall to see if it has to be a big object. Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this issue? See attached pic for reference.

Using hatchbox pla, current temp is 195c. Had tried 205 and 210 also. Bed adhesion isn't issue, bed is set at 55c. Also had been suffering really bad stringing , until the temp was lowered.

Any help would be appreciated. In the 1.5 years I've had my robo, 75% of my prints have been fails and I'm getting tired of it.

Attached Files:

2. Mark J.

Mark J. New Member

Follow up, i stopped the calibration print, as at 1 cm it was clear my perimeters were not melding correctly. I made a few adjustments to settings and I'm starting again. I wonder if I have a partially clogged hot end at this point, but I adjusted my Z offset and extrusion temp while speeding up my non print speed movement.

3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

If you didn't store your PLA in a sealed container with dessicant it could have absorbed enough water to be unusable.

4. Mark J.

Mark J. New Member

I considered that, so I opened a new roll of the exact same filament. It was the first time I had left hatchbox out that long unused so I thought I would try the un-opened roll and it was the same thing.

5. Mark J.

Mark J. New Member

new update:

I made many attempts today to get a print to print properly to no avail. I actually tried to print the spool holders that go over the robo as well and made a startling discovery. the clip was scaled to be 2cm tall. My finished print is roughly 3cm tall. I went back to the bracer that I posted above and the model is 127mm tall while the printed one came out to over 135mm. This could explain the problem with the layers but what on earth would cause that?

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Usually incorrect firmware for the specific printer.
    Loading the R1 firmware into an R1+ or loading beta firmware into an R1 (for example) would do it.

7. Mark J.

Mark J. New Member

I didn't mess with any of that though. This thing should still be running what it came with. Just to be sure however, where can I get robo's R1+ firmware? in case something did occur.

I am going to flip this thing over and double check my stepper driver as well, hopefully the heatsink didn't fall off. I am hoping that is the problem.

thanks for the help again Mark

8. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

Or you got the EEPROM contents corrupted. Someone else might need to comment on how to reset them since I don't have an R1+.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That is actually a very good idea.

10. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

to clear open your gcode terminal when hooked up via USB in your slicer. Insert a M502 followed by a M500 to clear and store eeprom.