1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Question on Cura profiles

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by kick4h4, Jul 5, 2017.

1. kick4h4

kick4h4 New Member

Hi,

I'm a robo C2 n00b, though I've been printing for about 3 years, now. I'm coming from a Flasforge Creator Pro, which died. I'm more interested in using these days than tinkering, and the C2 looked to be a great way to dial back the constant tweaking. I know, there's always going to be tweaking, but i was hoping to minimize it.

My workflow in previous days was to use either slic34 or mattercontrol as my primary build tool. The flashforge doesn't read gcode, so for slic3r, I'd have to run gpx on the gcode to generate a machine-readable .x3g file. Mattercontrol, though less friendly as a slicer, automated running the actual prints.

In that workflow, I did have control over what I consider to be some important aspects of my projects; infill, supports, temperatures, you know, minor things like that.

I'm finding the robo to be very frustrating. I do not run windows or Mac, and I was looking forward to being able to use the octoprint server in the machine as my build tool.

I'm finding that the permiters settings and infill are way too dense for the small figurines and toys that I usually try to print.

What I'm finding in the short term is that there's pretty much no actual control that I can utilize at this point.

I can't seem to find descriptions of the actual profile parameters of the default slicing profiles installed with the octoprint server, which might help me as a starting point. Has anyone in this forum been generating non-default slicing profiles that might offer a bit more flexibility?

Google is not returning a lot of success in figuring this stuff out. I would actually like to be able to run slic34, generate gcode with correct start and stop instructions, and load that into octoprint. Would that work?

I have about another week to tinker with this printer, before I have to either commit, or take it back to Micro Center and try another option, most likely the SeemeCNE Eris.

I know this is a bit of a rambling set of questions. Thanks for bearing with me. If anyone knows of a repository of Cura slicing profiles I could tap into whilst I'm learing Cura, that would be awesome.

Running slic3r and submitting the gcode would be awesomer... :)

Thanks in advance for any info you folks can share with me.

Cheers,

John

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There isn't such a repository and because of lack of development on CuraEngine you are kind of stuck loading an old version of Cura on a PC or Mac to create or modify existing profiles. There is no facility on the rPi to modify/create Cura profiles. You must not use any version of Cura newer than 15.06 or the profiles will not slice at all on the rPi.

Geof likes this.
  3. kick4h4

kick4h4 New Member

How about using another slic3r (3d-freudian slip, I meant 'slicer' generically...) and just uploading the gcode to the octaprint server? That seems like it should work...

Is the origin on the Robo C2 bed at 0,0, btw?

Thanks!

4. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Yes that works, but didn't meet you criteria when you said you don't use a Mac or a PC. I never slice on the rPi, I always slice on a PC then upload g-code to Octoprint. Easiest way to do it.

Front left is 0,0

Geof likes this.
  5. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

I guess he meant he only has Linux machines and thus can't run the Robo-supplied Cura... Although he could do a virtual machine for it, or simply download vanilla Cura for Linux and load the Robo profiles manually.

But yes any slicer will do, throw the gcode at Octoprint and fire away.

6. kick4h4

kick4h4 New Member

Thanks. You're right. I use slic3r under Linux. It worked well on my dearly departed Flashforge.

I appreciate your information.

Cheers

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Kilrah he didn't say what he did use but only what he didn't use.

@kick4h4 Are you on a linux system? If so my caveat still applies, if you want to create a profile you need to use a version for Linux that is 15.4.6 , see version list here: https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software/list. My preferred method is to slice on a PC/Mac/Linux and then upload the resulting code to OctoPrint.

#7 WheresWaldo, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. kick4h4

kick4h4 New Member

I'm pretty sure I'll stick with slic3r. I like the UI and controls. I built a printer profile for the robo with the cura start/end gcode, and will be running a test garden gnome shortly. :)

9. kick4h4

kick4h4 New Member

I have a hopefully quick follow-up. I copied the start/end gcode into my slic3r profile, and it did the start-up dance twice. Can I count on octoprint executing that start code and just pull all the gcode from my slic3r?

10. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep. Unless you hack it and remove it octoprint is configured to do all of thAt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

12. OutsourcedGuru

OutsourcedGuru Active Member

I run Cura 2.3.1 on OS X to slice (haven't graduated to another slicer yet). I created a repository for a bunch of filament profiles, for what it's worth; see the RC -> Software folder here.

Cura -> Preferences -> Settings

...gives you a lot to play with.
    Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 6.12.58 PM.png

And then on the main screen, choose Custom and you'll see a percentage for the infill value.

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 6.14.04 PM.png

And then there's this thread. https://ultimaker.com/en/community/35629-cura-231-infill-patterns