1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered stuttering x axis, overall poor performance

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sean Carson, Jul 12, 2017.

?

Squirrels?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. libertarian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. the arts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I'm just going to copy paste my question as I've posted it on facebook already.

Reset to Simplify3D defaults, raised the temperature for the material, speed already matched manufacturer recommendations, all to print a new set of parts for a rebuild. I retightened the belt on the X axis, did everything the machine could ask for.

I get these. I remember Carbon Fiber HTPLA from protopasta to be more cooperative that this. Now, I see a stutter as the carriage moves across the X-axis, as if it was dragging against the bed/previous layer, but the only thing between the nozzle and the bed/previous layer is the melted filament being pushed out. While the parts are incredibly strong, they are so sloppy they are useless.

I'm running out of ideas here. How can I get this thing to print properly?
    http://imgur.com/gallery/nsAfW

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

extruder calibrated that will have an impact on the material being put down?

More pictures of the print in action perhaps? In the picture you posted the print looks a little sloppy, but I am not sure I see what specifically you are having trouble with.

Perhaps elaborate a little more since most folks here are not on FB too,...

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks either to hot or overextruded (to hot could also be not enough cooling )

mark tomlinson likes this.
  4. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I’ll try and get a good video of a print so your can see what I’m talking about.

5. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

It was behaving until just now so I couldn't get a good shot. Here we go.

I'm considering finally replacing this thing.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Here are the possibilities...
    1) bad linear bearing -- sticking occasionally
    2) loose gear belt drive cog on the stepper drive motor shaft
    3) something electronic -- I really doubt this one

I see some scoring on the shaft and that can be caused by a bad bearing which is why I put that first in the list.

LM8UU bearings. Cheap.

Geof likes this.
  7. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I suspect you are right about number 1. I cleaned off those rods and gave them a nice coat of lithium grease. I only need one more month out of this thing. 2 more projects. Then I have decided it is being replaced.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Nah, replace the bearings. Once you get some good ones in there it is a solid workhorse.
    You can always add more printers, that is never a bad thing. They tend to multiply like little bunnies around here.

They used really cheap bearings...

Geof and Robert55 like this.
  9. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

I used cheap bearings. I had to print that carriage to fit my upgrades. Now I want to print a new carriage and I can’t get it dimensionally accurate. I need to machine to print properly to make its replacement parts. I have more bearings though.

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Make sure you go slow, reducing print speed reduces drive lash and will increase accuracy. You still have have to drill out things since if the models don't account for filament shrink/swell (most type swell) then that will be an issue.

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

If your in the US I can run you a part on any number of pricier machines than the Robo but as @mark tomlinson points out....regardless of which machine you run the parts on, you still have to drill it out 80% of the time or more. But if you want something to compare to I'm more than happy. Shoot me a DM.

12. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Any? Am I the only one here with only 1 3d printer?

I sprayed the x bars with lithium grease and its much better now. Still trouble, but now I can actually use the damn thing.I have a theory about why that helped. Hairspray overspray may have accumulated on the rods over time and gummed up the bearings. Throwing them back and forth on a freshly lubricated rod may have busted things free. There was some nastiness that was left at the edges of the rods after throwing the bearings around.

I also figured out why the X wouldn't home but instead jam to the left sometimes. It was running into the spool hanger I hung on the back left. ALWAYS HANG IT ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE MACHINE!

I have it pretty well dialed in, though I am getting some unexpected differences in prints with cubicat and a standard cube. I'll be designing my own calibration test model later today. I have an idea for a faster one that is large enough to make small miscalculation quickly expose themselves.

Now I just have to get this ringing problem settled.

Geof, I'm in Ohio. What machines do you have for comparison?

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

That is a very long list :D

WheresWaldo and mark tomlinson like this.
  14. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

braggart

Do you have a rostock max v3, tevo little monster, creality CR-10 or any of those reprap coreXY D-bots?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Sean Carson likes this.
  16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've got the cr10.

Won't buy a Rostock after @mark tomlinson experience

Tevos are fire hazards

I don't do reprap machines anymore, to much downtime :)

Sean Carson and mark tomlinson like this.
  17. Sean Carson

Sean Carson Member

Those cube coreXY printers look pretty sharp. Aside from the bowden feed, I like the design.

Looking at the CR-10, I can’t imagine how it works as well as it does. It should work worse than my current machine since it seems to only lift from one side. How do they age? The know my robo was great out of box, then went into a tailspin after about a week.

How are Tevos fire hazards? Aside from the shady claim of using a Titan extruder (that they flat out stole from e3d) everything looks fine. I especially like that enormous build volume.

I read the thread on the Rostock. Wow. I’d heard only good things about seemeCNC until now.

18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I've played with 3 different machines from Tevo (not that one) and each on of them had improper wiring to the point I trashed the machine for whatever decent parts were on it. I cant have poor wiring in my shop :D.

I personally think the CR10 is hyped. I bought it as a toy because it was cheap, and it will likely get upgraded to be a better machine (which ruins the price point) or torn down for parts. It works out of the box and thats about it as far as impressive goes in my opinionn. You have to keep in mind alot of these people are different from me and they have a big build volume that is affordable for the first time, so in my opinion alot gets over looked. I am the opposite. I run thousands of print hours (my large format machines even more) so I dont care if its cheap I need it to blow me away with functionality (I dont care for wifi and all that jazz...just want the darn thing to work :p) Plus the real peeve is its got a heat bed...but it doesn't get real hot lol. So in my opinion...PLA machine ;) that pretty much kills it for me :D even my robo gets to 100 :D

19. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson is an odd bird :D Most people with a bum machine just stay quiet (that thing where 90% of people wont complain at a restaurant if their food is wrong to avoid a scene) NOT MARK! lol he made a thread so we were all able to be informed of the dark side! but man he gave them every chance to make something right and they fell short. Far as I remember the machine is a fine machine....if you get one that is working ;)

20. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Well, the good news is that it is working (more or less, still needs some fine tuning) now.
    Was not a simple process and that singleboard controller they use (the Rambo) is an expensive part.
    You really do not want to have issues with the electronics in that thing since those alone (the pi and the Rambo) are right at $200 worth of an investment.

I am probably never updating that firmware either ;)

Geof likes this.