1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Wobbling Along Y Axis

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wickemu, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickemu

wickemu Member

Well I tried replacing the bearings, and now my prints have never looked worse.

[​IMG]

The far left image was the last one I did before swapping the bearings. I only swapped out the bearings on the left side of the Y belt just to see if I could get away with only adjusting one.

The second print was via Octoprint, obviously something is messed up with the Z.

The third is also Octoprint, which decided to do an entirely different Z warp.

The last print was direct over USB. Every aspect is worse than that left-hand print. The Y is back to being horrible, the X is worse than ever, and the Z has random gaps and blobs. I’ve checked and compensated for any extrusion miscalibration, so that isn’t the culprit. I’ve also verified the tightness of all belts. I made sure that my acceleration changes persisted, and I even flashed the firmware yet again to make sure something hadn’t been corrupted.

I’m on the verge of selling this machine for scraps. This has been an absolutely unreasonable amount of troubleshooting compared to every other printer I’ve had experience with. If this sudden plummet in quality isn’t easily fixed then I think I’m done giving this printer another chance, because my patience with it has been worn paper-thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You really should swap them all. You may have one side moving well and the other side rough now.

Regardless, I would lube the rods (all of the smooth rods) since that will make even a sticky bearing mostly work well short term.

You clearly have some slicer issues with your samples so stay with whatever you were using on that last one... it is at least the right size.

Geof likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We can only sympathize, many of us went through a pretty rough time as well. If you stick with it we can get it sorted, but if you rather move on that is certainly your call :)

Geof likes this.
  4. wickemu

wickemu Member

Well the reason it got worse was because the replacement bearings that I bought were absolutely horrible. Not a single bearing would glide smoothly. I’m going to try to return them and find some better ones.

In the meantime, for a super short-term solution, I tried removing the worst bearing that was originally used and having one side of the Y use just a single bearing. Obviously I’ll replace it, but I wanted to see if that would help (lubing the rods as well). It definitely did:

[​IMG]

It’s still not good, but it’s less horrible than the rest. (It’s the one on the far right.)

A couple oddities:

[​IMG]

There are some odd diagonal streaks on this side and I have no idea what could be causing it.

[​IMG]

What appears to be the layer seam here is not - my belt hits a little bump each time it moves in that direction (but seemingly not when it’s moving the opposite direction). This led the Y to be slightly narrower than the other sides of this cube. I assume I have another Y issue to find, though it’s possible that this is somehow related to the missing bearing.

Given that the ribbing pattern is now minorly visible in both the X and Y and also seems to have a nearly consistent pattern going all the way up, I’m wondering that this is a result of the threaded rods that came with this R1 non-plus. Would it effect the print that significantly, or would this also be a likely bearing issue?

Feeling slightly less hopeless than yesterday...

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you get printing good enough you can print bushings to use as temporary (or permanent if you use nylon) replacements for the bearings.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1895518

After swapping the cheap bearings Robo installed for slightly better ones (once on each machine) they have worked fine since. Igus bushings also work fine...

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Also, reviewing this thread you appear to have some over/under extrusion happening so calibrate that extruder...

7. wickemu

wickemu Member

I’m happy to say that the brutal wobble problem has finally been resolved! I still have a multitude of tweaks to do until I’m completely satisfied, but as it is I’m having a lot of fun making things for my son (Who is far less picky about its quality):

[​IMG]

Again, ignoring the many errors with it, the primary horrible wobble is gone.

While I can’t definitively say exactly what caused it, because I ended up disassembling the entirety of the Y gantry, I’m pretty sure that the little piece that moves the belt along the stepper motor was loose and that re-tightening it was the solution. That said, I greased everything that I could and undid/retightened every other nut and bolt too, so it could have been one of those too.

So this thread I can finally say is solved. I’ll probably put up another list soon asking about the other little things. Thank you so much for your help, I’m so happy to finally have this behind me!

#27 wickemu, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.