1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

glue or tape?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Eddie Hughes, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Eddie Hughes

Eddie Hughes New Member

I'm newbie to this field. And I trying to see what better to use glue stick or blue painters tape? Also I thinking outside the box, has anybody used parchment paper or wax paper? And 1 more thought would the grill mat advertise on tv work on the ROBO to protect the glass bed? Thank you.

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I think a lot of people here use hairspray, not the expensive "green" stuff, rather the ecologically irresponsible cheap stuff. In the US it is brands like Aquanet or White Rain (all available at places like Walmart). I use hairspray.

There are some that use PEI sheets or thin sheets of Lexan/poly-carbonate that has been thuroughly roughed up clipped on top of the bed.

There just aren't too many people left using painters tape or glue stick.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

We started out using both painters tape AND glue-stick, but after we got the bed leveling sorted and the Z offset dialed-in we just print on the bare glass (with hairspray as @WheresWaldo mentioned). The tape makes it more forgiving for getting the leveling and Z offset correct (in other words if you DO NOT have the Z offset correctly set you can still often get prints to stick correctly).

I hated having yet another consumable item so we ditched it :)

4. thebirdthatflies

thebirdthatflies New Member

I bought this stuff:
    ScotchBlue 2.83" from Home Depot.
    It may be a bit expensive, but you only have to peel off 1, maybe 2 strips per print (or maybe patch it up with a small xacto'd piece if you rip it when prying a print off. I bought 2 rolls and have been happy every since. No more ugly glue bits on the glass or sticky prints that you have to clean up.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I use all sorts of everything depending on what I'm running. If I run nylon, PETG or a copolymer (XT, NGEN and such) I use glue stick as it helps the part from sicking to much to the glass (pulling chips), PLA I use hairspray. I hated buying blue tape :(

some of my other machines use PEI or builtak but to use on the robo you have to modify your sequence to heat after autolevel.

6. Scifideity

Scifideity Member

I've used the large Elmer's purple glue sticks since I got the printer and haven't had any issues once the printer was dialed in. Works like a champ and wipes off with just a damp rag between prints. Sometimes I can get a few prints off of the same coat of glue if I'm printing back to back small stuff.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  7. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Elmer's Washable Glue Stick FTW here! I don't like the idea of spraying hairspray, based on the overspray.

OBI WAN KEN0B1 likes this.