1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer X Axis not moving

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Shawn Wandler, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

After trying to install a rep-rap full graphic display and updating the firmware to no avail I went back to stock firmware and removed the graphic display but now all I get when trying to move on the X axis is Grinding any and all help is greatly appreciated. Below is a video of the problem.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

So which stock firmware did you use, point us to the link.

3. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No, you should need the R1 v3 as you do not have a beta and it is unlikely you have the R1 w/8mm rods, but the thing is... no matter which of those you used, it would not cause the problem you have. That is a hardware problem, not a firmware one. The fact that it will not go DOWN is likely a problem with a Z home switch, but it is remotely possible it is the RAMPS or stepper driver. Your switches (what I can see of them in the video) look fine so perhaps they are not connected correctly on the RAMPS. Track the wires back and make sure they didn't get knocked off.

5. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

After fooling around trying to put the graphics display on and dealing with a clogged extruder one of the left side wires on the limit switch broke off but I reattached it. it now goes down a bit but stops and grinds just like when it goes up. If i lift the carriage up enough to take the weight off the limit switches it will move up and down

6. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

7. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

Here is an other video of my problem.
    The X-axis will move up but only when aided with my hand assisting wondering if it could be a bad driver?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes it is possible this is a bad stepper driver I believe.
    I can't recall if the R1 used the dual stepper drivers for the Z, but I think *NOT* (the beta used a single one, the R1+ switched to two).
    If that is the case then the stepper driver card could be weak and simply not providing enough current to drive both Z steppers. The RAMPS is designed for a single driver to work for both, but if it goes bad you will have issues.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If this had two stepper drivers on the Z (one for each rod) then a single stepper driver failing would mean one rod would turn correctly but the other would not.

10. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

Well here's where I stand now. I have changed the Arduino board the ramps board all the drivers. The firmware is now installed and running properly the new full Graphics display is installed and running properly but, I still can not get the x-axis to move just keeps grinding. I think now i will change the limit switches.

11. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

12. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Do you have a multimeter, even one of the $5 ones from Harbor Freight will work. It sounds like there needs to be some tuning done on the Z axis stepper driver.

Geof likes this.
  13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

agreed. Z Axis (up and down). X axis is left and right. That buzzing is typically a voltage tuning issue from the stepper driver to the steppers. (that looks like a early model so just one Z which is good!)

#13 Geof, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2017
  14. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

I'll give that a go when I get home from work. I did read some-ware that someone had a similar issue after they upgraded there firmware could this be even possible ?

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

No. Not with our flavor of Marlin and our hardware.
    Some control boards (like RAMBO for one) do allow setting the stepper drive current via firmware.
    Not RAMPS/Arduino :)

16. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

Well I have now checked the voltage on the drivers and they are set fine I have replaced both and end stops on the Z axis and still have the same problem. I removed the couplings while attached to the threaded rods and tried an auto home and I noticed that both Z stepper Motors are having trouble moving they will move if I give it an assist any suggestions

17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Replace the stepper drivers.
    They are cheap. If that doesn't solve it then it has to be the RAMPS board or the stepper motors themselves.
    You can attached one of the other steppers to one of the Z axis outputs on the RAMPS and see if IT moves correctly when told to move up/down. That will prove the stepper is good/bad.

18. Shawn Wandler

Shawn Wandler Member

I have now changed the Arduino board the ramps board and all the drivers and both stepper Motors and I still get the same grinding really don't want to do now

19. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Try lowering the acceleration values for Z the line will look something like this:
    Code:
    #define DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION      {9000,9000,100,10000}
    Try changing the third parameter to something like 25, then report back.