1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X and Y Ringing on prints - possible solutions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jwmueller, Jun 9, 2017.

1. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

How about both! :)

2. John M. Fruits

I had severe ringing on my prints. I found the issue. There are two issues. First, my Z Axis rod has a warp to it, which causes it to bind while rotating.secondly, when it does bind, if you watch the stepper mounting plate, you will see it flex. If you are running the build plate up, it will look like its breathing. To me, this is a serious issue as I removed it and it is made from plastic.

Attached Files:

#22 John M. Fruits, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Docdead likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Sounds like a warranty claim to me :)

Kilrah and Geof like this.
  4. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Oh wow on that Z ringing, that is beyond ringing. That is a major sine wave! Question for others, my Z - axis steel rods were not securely in place, a few inches up with one not being secured on the bottom at all. Does the Z-Axis screw have anything on top, or is it loose like most other machines. It looked like a bearing should have been in place with the molding to the plastic mount, I am glad it did not have a bearing as the wobble is pretty intense from it.

5. Ed Ferguson

Ed Ferguson Active Member

jw - The top of the R2 Z axis lead screw has no bearing. It floats. The surrounding black plastic/hole is just to protect the screw from getting bumped.

6. John M. Fruits

The "Z" axis bearing rods are just glued into the plastic bottom support bracket (the same one that holds the stepper motor). There was a molded hole in the bottom that appeared they planned on tapping a hole in the center of the shafts, but didn't. Mine are loose as well.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. John M. Fruits

For now....I made this and inserted it under the stepper motor....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Decided to try a larger flat surface print to highlight how the rods are bent for when I talk to Robo support tomorrow (some skype thing?).

As the extruder assembly travels across the build plate, it goes from biding the filament (so the stepper skips), to printing the line. As it gets further along the first layer I will take some pictures. Since I am printing on a nice flat piece of glass it looks really interesting at this stage. I don't remember if I stated it above, but I have been able to narrow down that all my upper Axis rods are bent. LOL

9. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

So while your bed is moving up/down, you can actually see the Z-Axis motor osculating? Live moving back and forth a bit?

10. John M. Fruits

Yes, more so up and down, but there is a little osculation as well. here is a short video of the movement before the spacer was printed and installed.

https://youtu.be/1pqvtJ5N7W0

Todd Wessendorf likes this.
  11. Todd Wessendorf

Todd Wessendorf Active Member

12. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Think I am going to add your brace regardless. LOL

13. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Here is a video, you will have to look a bit close to catch it. Once you see it, you will always see it. LOL Video

Just for fun I let it draw a grid with a marker

Sent it for repair, UPS trashed the box on the return and caused it to be worse. Second try and UPS had the box upside down in the truck under loads of other boxes. Driver was letting the box slide out of the truck upside down. So I grabbed it while he was doing this and he did not like that, so I told him like heck was I going to let him drop it upside down. I would like to see Robo redesign the upper Styrofoam that protects the extruder, more of a gap around the head itself would help. Another thing I saw is the funky clips that help hold the rods into place, was smashed into the foam. Maybe if the factory would flip all of those upside down it might help as well.

Maybe the best thing would be to have the extruder not bolted into place. This is actually the first printer I have had arrive that was almost fully ready to run. I like that, but I think it makes things harder on what takes place in the real work

14. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I have the same problem. Contacted them last week and have yet to hear a response from second tier support. After hearing of your fiasco with ups, maybe they can just send me new rods and I'll change them out myself. Probably take less time than running back and forth to ups.

15. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Here are more videos and pictures - OneDrive Link

This time around the pattern from the bent rods is much different. I sent them the prints from the first repair, so I can't show you those. But I will take some pics and video of the prints now before I send it back. You can feel the "ringing" with your finger and feel the grooves with your fingernail even.

Sad thing is this printer is really quite good! Without the bent rods it is going to be a really nice machine, and I want more of them.

I wish they would change how they are shipped, I would be fine if I had to assemble the extruder myself to keep it away from the UPS kickbox competition. I have already taken the extruder off, so it would not be all that hard for us to do that.

The rods they are telling me are a bit more complicated to replace than it looks. If I was not sending this machine back I would tear it open. It seems the side panels do have to come off to get to everything.

Edit: Is the forum acting up, or just my beta OS?

16. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

What about these artifacts/ringing, the diagonal stripes?? I'm getting the same in my Benchy. Bent rods? I have all four of them are bent/warped...

Benchy on Glass3.jpg

17. Docdead

Docdead New Member

Wow, glad I found this post. I am having the same kind of Sine wave effect that I have seen posted above by John. Yikes, but glad to know I'm not the only one. I need to look at that brace you printed as well.

It appears that my issue is with a warped Z screw. I can see it oscillate towards the top of the screw. As I raise the print bed towards the top, I can feel a wobble in the bed.

#37 Docdead, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  18. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@Docdead be sure to call and schedule a teir 2 tech support call to get new parts or a replacement machine sent.

19. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

That is one sign for sure, as the rods are in different places you get that regular line being built up. Well it is a combination of all four rods and what axis is moving the most at the time. My first machine the lines in the Benchy were vertical, second repair machine was diagonal like yours, and this machine now is bit different. It has more of a triangle shape along with the vertical lines, but the lines are not fully straight. Running another Benchy on it now, kids stole the others already. Will post pics.

I have found the easy way to find out if you have bent rods is to move the gantry by hand slowly and watch each end plate or rod.

#39 jwmueller, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  20. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson New Member

John, Did the printed blocks placed under the Z axis motor solve the ringing/sine wave pattern problem? If so, can you upload your design?

Thanks!