1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Promethius System- Dual extrusion, single nozzle

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Geof, Mar 30, 2017.

1. regor

regor Member

Thanks! I received my Prometheus system, but wondering how to mount the hot end for printing. Also, curious about the wiring for two motors and two fans for the motors.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

DM me and I'll try to help you out

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Ok...this project has been scrapped until they work out the bugs in S3D to make the system work properly. Fighting to many issues trying to get repetier host/cura engine to work correctly with the robo. There are issues between the robo mesh firmware and the scripts that appear to have nothing wrong with them causing strange retractions and failed prints. Quite frankly...the failures are making the machine unusable, so for now I will leave everything where it is but revert back to the gregs wade with promethius V2 hotend. If you do have it up and working (which is possible and I have had successful prints) feel free to post your thoughts and opinions here.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Dual extrusion is harder than it looks.

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

lol yes it is. Thats why I've got the sigma. If I didn't have tight dead lines I woudl continue on experimenting but right now I have to have all machines up and running. Once things calm down and S3D is working well with the system (they think soon). I will revisit and get it functioning correctly. To much "not ok" with repetier and RC marlin.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

@Geof

I am sorry that your firmware is having issues with Cura. This is really unusual because we actually use Marlin firmware on our deltas without issues. We use the BugFix version of Marlin and it works great!

This is definitely not a problem with the hardware or switching G-code as most of our users are already printing dual extrusion prints with their Prometheus Systems. It sounds like it is just a firmware specific issue. Could you try switching to that stable BugFix version of Marlin when you have time? That should eliminate the odd behavior until we find a solution for S3D!

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Eric ! (@RP Iron Man ) i absolutely agree its nothing wrong with the product just how i have this machine set up. Once i get cought up on prints ill give it another go !

RP Iron Man likes this.
  8. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

It’s been a while since the last update. We have been working hard over the past few months since fulfilling the remaining Kickstarter rewards in March and we have some exciting news!

We are proud to announce the release of the Prometheus System (E3D V6 Upgrade)!

You can view the promo video below:

This upgrade kit allows E3D V6 Hot End users to create multi-color and multi-material objects. The Prometheus System solution simplifies the multi-extrusion process and expands the capabilities of 3D printers using the E3D V6.

[​IMG]

The original Prometheus System was specifically designed to work with our Prometheus V2 Hot End. However, with the success of the Kickstarter campaign and hundreds of active users around the world, many people have requested system compatibility with the E3D V6 Hot End.

To enable reliable multi-filament 3D printing using the Prometheus System with the E3D V6, we had to develop the "Prometheus Heat Break". This is a precision machined and polished component that replaces the standard E3D V6 heat break to facilitate reliable filament switching with the Prometheus System.

[​IMG]

The Prometheus System (E3D V6 Upgrade) solves all of the issues associated with conventional methods of dual extrusion. We believe that this new product will be a popular upgrade for E3D V6 users who want to print multi-color and multi-material objects.

The Prometheus System (E3D V6 upgrade) is available for order and ships immediately. The upgrade kit can be purchased by following the link below:

https://www.distechautomation.com/products/prometheus-system-e3d-v6-upgrade

In addition to the release of the E3D V6 Upgrade kit, we wanted to provide a quick update on Simplify3D software compatibility with the Prometheus System. This is something that many people have been asking about, and unfortunately, it has been delayed for a long time due to ongoing bugs in the Simplify3D software.

However, one of our Kickstarter backers named Pekka, (aka. “spegelius” on our forum) recently began working on a post-processing script called “FilaSwitch” to allow Simplify3D to work with the Prometheus System. We are supporting his efforts and he has made a lot of progress! You can view his development thread on our forum by clicking on the link below. Feel free to post in that thread to offer him encouragement or suggestions for his script.

http://distechforum.com/showthread.php?tid=127

We will be sure to post an update as soon as the S3D post-processing script is ready for beta-testing :) It’s almost ready!

Stay tuned!

danzca6 and Geof like this.
  9. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

After a few weeks of beta testing, the Prometheus System is now officially compatible with Simplify3D!

"FilaSwitch": Simplify3D G-Code Post-Processor

We would like to give special thanks to our Kickstarter backer named Pekka (aka. “spegelius” on our forum) for developing the "FilaSwitch" post-processor! (https://github.com/spegelius/filaswitch) Pekka has worked very hard on this script and he deserves full credit. You can follow his FilaSwitch development thread here on our forum:

http://distechforum.com/showthread.php?tid=127

FilaSwitch is a Python script that processes the S3D G-code output and adds a smart purge tower to enable compatibility with the Prometheus System. This smart purge tower has some very neat features to optimize the filament switching process.

As seen in the preview below, FilaSwitch eliminates unnecessary filament switches on single color layers by printing a support structure on the tower. This saves a lot of time and filament.

[​IMG]

FilaSwitch also generates a perimeter around the tower to keep the purge lines clean and contained and stops printing the purge tower when there are no more filament switches required for the print.

By incorporating the above features with the wipe setting and carefully controlled purging, FilaSwitch is truly a work of art. This is a Benchy boat that we printed using S3D and FilaSwitch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again, a huge thank you to Pekka, our Kickstarter backer, for developing FilaSwitch. Based on our testing, we think that there are no more bugs remaining in the script. However, if you do happen to find a bug, please post it in the GitHub issue tracker:

https://github.com/spegelius/filaswitch/issues

You can find instructions for using S3D and FilaSwitch in our User Guide:

https://www.distechautomation.com/pages/pro-sys-guide

Happy printing!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  10. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

Just a heads up:

We are offering a 15% discount on all orders during this Black Friday weekend!

If you have been waiting to purchase a Prometheus System or Prometheus V2 for your printer, now is your chance. Use the discount code BF2017 at checkout to receive 15% off your order: https://www.distechautomation.com/

Sale ends Monday, November 27!

Check out our Prometheus System - Product Feature video below:

Happy printing!

Geof likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks like I need to reimplement the system now that S3D is working with it :D will get to it asap.

RP Iron Man likes this.
  12. RP Iron Man

RP Iron Man Member

We are having a Christmas Sale at DisTech!

We are offering a 15% discount on all orders placed through our online store! Sale ends Wednesday, December 20.

Our Christmas Sale is the perfect time to buy a Prometheus System or Prometheus V2 for your printer in time for the new year!

Head over to our website and use the discount code XMAS2017 at checkout to receive 15% off your order:

Merry Christmas and happy printing!

Geof likes this.