1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Rod supposed to be moving up and down?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Erica Lindström, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

The left side rod, that is mounted right next to the power supply to x/z axis (black sign stating that name at the back left corner) is moving up and down while printing. Is it supposed to be "loose" like that? Intended to attach a video for clarity but obviously it had the wrong format so I couldn't do that.

2. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Can you add a dropbox link, or a OneDrive link like this?

Edit: Does my video match the same rod you are talking about?

3. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Member

Why are they shipping these with warped rods? Mine are warped too, all four...

4. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

They aren't shipping with warped rods, but some must be encountering guys like these...

Bemster likes this.
  5. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I have had three with bent rods now, twice back from repair basically. So first unit was bent on all four 8mm rods, once repaired it arrived with bends to the rods that were worse. Third trip back and the bent rods have a completely different pattern on the same print.

So I think two areas are failing them/us.

A. Shipping somewhere from Point A to B, and then again from B to Customer. (Aka this stage is now called UPS Kickabox, VolleyBox?) My 3rd attempt was upside down in the UPS truck.

B. I think the other problem is, poor package design. They either need to redesign the upper carton or let us assemble the extruder to keep all that mass away from the delivery drivers and other boxes.

I do wonder if anyone is checking these once they arrive at the factory, could be many are arriving with this damage from China. If it is (B) and happening at this stage of the supply chain, they need to look at the box and that upper portion that leaves hardly any room for the extruder.

C. Quality control at the factory and the rods are warped to start with. I don't really buy into this idea, maybe some are bent and others are fine. I have seen prints from other owners that do not show any of the signs that I have seen on three machines (ok three times from repair).

I have offered to repair my own rods, but so far they want the machine back to look at it. So I am waiting on this third machine (well same machine mind you) to go back to Robo again. This time once I saw the box upside down, I checked the rods by hand and it was easy to feel the warps. Not only that if you push it by hand it as the rods hit certain spots they force required is greater. Like pushing a wheelbarrow as a kid with out of round tires.

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It is almost certainly A, B and a bit of C (which is not new to the R2)

Geof likes this.
  7. Erica Lindström

Erica Lindström New Member

Mine was not like your video. My rod actually was loose at the back end. I just popped it back to place.

8. John Omernik

John Omernik New Member

I think I have a bent rod too, it's printing, but with a odd squeek that sounds like metal binding with plastic, I tried to lubricate but no luck. Do I have to ship the whole unit back or is it something just a part can be sent out?

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You need to call Robo and have a chat with a tier-2 tech.
    I would "guess" it is a replace the machine sort of thing...

jwmueller and Geof like this.