1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Brand new R2 issues -Wavy Prints

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rob Johnson, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson New Member

Take a look at the attached images.

I'm thinking the Z axis lead screw is bent (it wobbles noticeably when the table travels from bottom to top of the machine)... Can anyone think of what else this might be? I'm trading emails with support -hoping they will either send a new Z axis assembly (not sure if that is easy to replace or not) or perhaps I should return this unit (only two days old).

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. I have seen this a few times, sorry to hear! That sucks! Being brand new id return it and get a new one. Everything is tight spaces and thus a bit harder to work on plus part replacement will likely take as long as unit exchange.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Easy? No. Return and replace it. You deserve a working unit :)

Geof likes this.
  4. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson New Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys! I'll try and figure out how to get the return processed! Hopefully I can get a working machine up & running quickly.

Shigemal and mark tomlinson like this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Best of luck ! Keep us posted !

6. Bemster

Bemster New Member

You beat me to the punch. My R2 came Thursday 7/20/17. I have the same problem but it looks worst. I went thru Z alignment a number of times. At first I saw the top wobble but it not supported so ok. I did not think that big of a deal. Now after a few prints I noticed the bottom motor support flexes about a 1/8" up and down. The bench looks like real lap board ship! I am guessing the pitch matches the screw pitch. The square block is a 1" cube I made in SW. The height on two prints was 1.010" and 1.015 in height around the outside edge. Center part is 1". The sides measure dead nuts at 1" at the valley and .03" wider at the peaks.

If you watch the entire Z axis assembly including the guide rods move up and down approx. 1/8" flexing the lower support. I thought at first there was a broken part or missing part. Does not look like it. It seems to be a design issue. From a mechancial design (me a 30+ year mechanical engineer of CNC large laser cutters) stand point does not look very good at this point. But I still need to investigate more just wanted to try alignment before disassembling a brand $1500 printer.

It a shame as the rest of the printer is in great shape and works great.

I will update if I find anything out today. Otherwise I guess I am calling Robo.

Bemster

Attached Files:

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Unless you can work out a way to fix the broken bits, calling them is the only option.
    Get a replacement printer.

I was fortunate enough to be able to reassemble the broken bits on mine and it has been a trooper ever since.

8. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Well I just dropped the motor and found the motor attaches just to a plastic thin frame spanning the print surface width. Bad design? Well there are people's printers working find so probably not. Then I thought maybe the nut was binding so I jog the Z axis up and down. The motor goes crazy wobble up and down. I tried to hold the motor in place but can not prevent the motor wobble, I can only keep the motor from spinning. Now I am thinking it a bent screw but more likely the attachment point of the screw inside the motor. Not sure how they connect the motor to screw as there is no external coupler. Does not look like it will be easy to get the entire screw/motor assy out. I will see what I can do. I am going to hate it if I have to return this unit.

Bemster

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is an integrated leadscrew (R1+ had these too) and you typically would replace the motor and leadscrew as a unit.
    Can it be disassembled? Yes, but not easy really. I think there is a thread on here where someone did that on an R1+ , but under warranty just get it replaced.

10. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson New Member

The guide rods for the Z are attached to that same piece of plastic the motor/leadscrew combo are attached to as well. The whole thing pulses up and down when I jog the Z.... I keep looking at it trying to think of how to stabilize it. Seems like that hole mounting plate should have been metal. I saw in another post (I'll look for it now) that someone put a block wedged under the motor but it wasn't clear to me if that solved their problem or not.

11. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Rob,

Looks like my screw in bent at the motor and nothing will solve this problem except for a new screw/motor assembly. I was thinking stiffness the frame would fix but the frame is only because the screw. Now my only issue whether the whole unit goes back or I can replace the screw/motor assembly my self. There are only (4) screws holding it on. Piece of cake. To get it out of the enclosure is a bigger issue. I look at the bottom it it does not seem to just come off. I plan to investigate further but I think Mark is correct to just return the whole unit being brand new.

How is Robo warranty handled? Will they paid for return shipment on a RMA? It 50 lbs and will not be cheap to return.

Bemster

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your under warranty. They should/will not charge you to return a defective unit. Call them direct Monday and get the RMA going

13. Bemster

Bemster New Member

I figured so - thanks Geof.

14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your very welcome! Keep us posted!

15. Rob Johnson

Rob Johnson New Member

I had emailed support on Friday and they got back to me today. They're sending a replacement Z-motor/leadscrew assembly which they said was easy to install (I'll soon find out). They figured that way it would avoid having to ship the whole machine & risk additional shipping damage. Part of me wanted a whole new machine but on the plus side I know everything else on this machine is good. I'll keep you all posted on how quickly I receive the replacement part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redriche and mark tomlinson like this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck and -- take pictures :)
    You can do a thread on it to help others.
    I am not sure how difficult it will be, when I field-stripped the C2 it was not terribly hard to work on it after you got it apart. It is just that first step that was a bit of a challenge. It is not really intended to be user-serviceable so getting the plastic shell off can be a challenge. If they include decent instructions it would not be a terribly daunting bit of work.

17. Bemster

Bemster New Member

Thanks for the update. I emailed support yesterday after getting no answer on the 24/7 phone support line. I would prefer changing out the Z-axis axis as the rest of my machine is in great condition. I keep thinking that getting a new unit that there would be something else is wrong with it from shipping. Dropping the z-axis motor is easy but you need to take off the bottom. Did not look easy but there must be something I missed. Maybe look closer at the Z-axis assemble. Hopefully they have the parts on hand otherwise may take some time.

Bemster

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is also a concern -- parts in stock.
    I would hope that they have that under control by now, but we have no insight into what is going on at Robo HQ :)

19. cthig

cthig New Member

I made a thread about the exact same thing earlier today! Mine seems to look the exact same. If you find a resolution please contact me. I have scheduled an appointment with a tier 2 technician for the 27th.

20. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

This

Unfortunantly you have a z lead screw issue that requires disassembly and installation of a new assembly. From what I've seen this may be quite difficult.

mark tomlinson likes this.