1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Sticks too hard and PEI ding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Daniel Roussel, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Daniel Roussel

Daniel Roussel New Member

Hi,

I tried printing ASA for the first time yesterday, having only printed PLA before. This morning, the test print was so fused to the bed that I destroyed it trying to get it off. Afterward, there was pieces of ASA remaining and I had to remove with a razor blade. Unfortunately, I made a pretty deep ding in the PEI bed.

My print settings were 245 C hot-end and 80 C for the bed. 0% fans on the first layer and 10% afterward. I will try lowering the hot-end to 240 tonight as I had a bit too much stringing for my taste at 245.

As for the adhesion issue, would reducing the bed temp to 60 help? Or should I try printing on tape instead to be sure I can remove the print?

Finally, any idea if its possible to minimize the damage done to the PEI or if it's possible to replace it later on?

Thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I havent printed with ASA but have read quite a bit about it. From what I understand you want glue stick on the bed and the increase the distance between the bed and your nozzle for the first layer.

PEI is a replaceable sheet. Reach out to Robo they may give you a new one :D

3. cthig

cthig New Member

Yeah I think you can contact Robo and they will send you replacement parts if you registered your printer.

4. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Tell them you are playing with ASA as well, since that is not widely used they might feel some interest and help you with sheets and settings. *maybe

Agree with Geof, and there are some interesting reads on ASA in the Prusa forums.

5. Daniel Roussel

Daniel Roussel New Member

Hi,

I've tried with glue stick and it works perfectly. First time I use glue to make something stick less! I still have to tweak settings a bit as the results are not yet quite on par with what I obtain with PLA, but I'm quite satisfied nonetheless.

If you are interested in knowing, I kept the printing temperature at 245C and the bed at 80C for now. The print sticks very well, as much as PLA on bare PEI I'd say. I have had no curling or layer separation at all with it. Only the finish is somewhat rougher then with PLA but I can probably fix that by playing with the extruder temp, print speed, etc.

So, if you are looking for something a bit like ABS (which I never tried) and that is supposed to be weather and UV resistant without yellowing, this material looks like a winner.

As for ROBO, I sent an email to their support address but haven't yet heard back. I'll try phoning them later this week as I still can't warm up the bed to more then 80C without getting an error (my pogo pins are still fine) and I have a cooling fan that is crazily noisy. I'll ask for a replacement PEI sheet while I'm at it!

Thanks all for your help!

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Glue stick works well to keep them from sticking to print surfaces to hard but also helps keep things stuck :D its odd to think about it but hey whatever works right :D