1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

8M pixel camera

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by supercazzola, Jul 22, 2017.

1. supercazzola

supercazzola Active Member

Anyone find a way to increase the quality of the images captured during timelapse? Or perhaps during the render. Robo told me the camera is an 8M pixel, but if it is, mine must be broken, because mine looks like it’s EVGA...
    Kevin

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Kevin,
    Most of the time the resolution for capturing images is artificially reduced for time lapse. The reason is that the Raspberry Pi 3, although a little marvel in ingenuity, does not have enough computing power to process video image capture at high resolutions or at high frame rates. You are asking it to do a lot of work, processing and sending gcode to the printer's host controller, displaying feedback from the host controller, reading data from the SD card interface, etc. The you ask it to write data to the same SD card as well as process the video stream. If you are taking single image stills then 8 Mpixels are obtainable, but in video streaming you might be able to increase the resolution a bit over the default, but don't expect high resolution and smooth video at the same time.

Someone with an actual image of RoboOS should be able to tell you where to edit webcamDaemon to increase resolution.

Geof and supercazzola like this.
  3. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

~/scripts/webcamDaemon

For example:
    Code:
    camera_raspi_options="-x 1600 -y 1200 -fps 5"
    gives this: http://www.filedropper.com/rippletest015250020170723194059

Obviously make sure you've got a big card cause the temp files are going to be much bigger. You'll also need a lot longer for rendering, this needed about 10 minutes for a 50min print at 5s intervals (would probably be a minute or 2 at the default 640x480).
    You'll probably want to up the video bitrate in the timelapse advanced settings, maybe to 10Mbps or so (this was 5).

Try other resolutions, but you'll see at some point you might lose the LCD interface.

4. cthig

cthig New Member

Yeah I understand why the camera isn't amazing, but I do wish it was a little better. :p

supercazzola likes this.