1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

X and Y Ringing on prints - possible solutions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jwmueller, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

Have you done this yet? If so, we're they helpful?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

I see the same thing only it's not the bed moving it's the z screw rod at the very top in the hole. Causes a really noticeable ripple effec. Makes me mad.

Has anyone got the level 2 tech support yet?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Thing is that if you need a replacement they are the ones to get that rolling.

Geof likes this.
  4. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

#44 jwmueller, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  5. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

How hard was it? For the z screw?

6. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I will look in the morning, I do not recall if the lead screw is built in with the stepper or not.

It could be four screws, slide down and angle out of the machine.

7. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

But that is what youre trying to replace?

8. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I am replacing the 8mm upper four rods that the gantry rides on. In my case all four of those rods are bent. Causing the extruder to change Z height constantly as those rods wobble.

You are seeing the Z lead screw put movement on the 10mm z rods, moving the bed side to side. I would check for sanity sake if the bearing blocks are tight on the bed plate, underside of bearings.

9. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

Ah... so possibility that those might be loose and not be the screw rod causing the ripples? Or am I not understanding that right? I was told that a slight z screw wobble shouldn't affect it that much and to grease the rods and that didn't change anything.

10. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

I have another brand of machine, the screws on the bearing blocks were just slightly loose from the factory. It caused that printer to make a mess and ugly prints. I don't think I kept any examples, but I can go unscrew them to find out! Haha

11. Tim Navarette

Tim Navarette New Member

I'll take a look lol and see what I'll be getting into.

12. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I've been in communication with Jerry about what looks like ringing throughout the print. Pretty much the same situation that Jwmueller started this thread with.
    I haven't been able to isolate it. I know my rods are bent but one rotation of the 8mm rods is like every 25.13mm. My prints have a ringing affect about every 1mm. I shut off the auto bed leveling and filament run-out detection just to make sure it wasn't causing any strange behavior. The filament seemed to really bind in the Bowden tube so I replaced that. I changed out the nozzle. I slowed down the print to 40mm/s. Still ugly prints.
    When I place my hand on the extruder carrier while printing, I can feel what I would describe as gritty vibration. Bad stepper motors? Bad bearings? Only way to find out I guess is to take it apart.
    The way Jerry made it sound, it's not isolated.

13. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

if it feels gritty I'd suggest lubricating the rails/bearings and see if that makes it glide smooth. If no make sure the gantry is square. Jerry will get you sorted either way I'm sure.

14. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

UPS is being an utter mess I think, some areas probably better off. My second repair attempt was upside down in the truck for example.

Do you see 1mm marks on all sides even if you rotate the print 45*? Some steppers will try to pull into place as they are moving, so if the stepper or the driver is not great it will drive you nuts.

If so I would think steppers or a bad board. The rods can also trick you with what looks like a stepper issue since they are rotating as it moves one axis or the other. I will have all my rods off later today, and I will take some good pictures on a level.

Edit: I did finally talk Rob and Jerry into sending me just the parts, as I was tired of UPS. LOL

15. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

Already lubed the machine.
    All sides have the ringing effect. I printed the 20mm from Ed Furguson that was at 45°.

16. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

And I squared it up twice.

17. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Manually push the extruder and see what you can feel from the 8mm rods, on mine you get lots of force needed and then it goes free. Like pushing a oval tire on a wheelbarrow. Graph paper really helps to see the fine movements as well.

18. Warp Norman

Warp Norman Member

I'll pay special attention to it when I get home. Thanks.

19. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

All of my 8mm rods range from minor bends/warps to beyond 1/2mm or more. All of my 6mm rods (extruder rods) are bent as well, one is really nasty.

When I first started to roll them across a piece of glass I could not believe it, so I had to check the glass itself. Just moving the rods around to different spots though was enough to rule that out of the picture.

So my printer never really had chance with so many variance in all the rods. They are going to send me new rods, but I am tempted to order some out of place in Holland that I understand has amazing tolerances on things.

20. jwmueller

jwmueller Active Member

Pictures of my rods, not the best angle and I did not rotate each one for each picture. I did rotate some of the 6mm rods as they had more damage compared to my first thoughts. 8mm should be the front batch of pictures.

Link to folder