1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Did anyone watch the 3DPrintingNerd's unboxing and live stream with Braydon?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by WheresWaldo, Jul 21, 2017.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I used to watch Joel's videos all the time. His schtick is getting tiresome so I barely watch anymore. There are more unboxings and very little about using 3D printers. Of course my opinion is biased since I only watch once in a while. He had an unboxing and first print with the Robo R2 and Braydon. I could only get through about 20 minutes of the video and couldn't watch anymore.

No new information, nothing spectacular in the small segment I saw. I am wondering if anyone else took away anything different. Please highlight any insights you got from it.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Waldo, missed the stream but am watching it now. Will let you know if anything happens after those 20 mins with a time stamp. Dont often watch youtube videos either so dont feel bad lol. Very few creators I watch often and most of them are modelers that make stuff I find cool.

3. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

The stream was ok, not a lot of new info for those of us that either have one already or have been following the R2 closely.

I was very surprised they didn't do the bed calibration, only the auto-leveling offset wizard. My bed was everything but level when I got it, and I got bad warping until I realised that I had calibrated the nozzle's distance from the bed, but not leveled the bed itself (I'm a noob, so it took a while). I guess since they were using a raft they had a bit more tolerance to work with.

I'm more excited about what comes after this, since Joel will keep the R2. Hoping that he'll put it through a bunch of tests and share the results, settings, etc.

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of his stuff either. Put him slightly below that "3D Printing Professor" guy with an odd whistling in his speech (who talks about 3d printers as if Makerbot is still relevant and posts a bunch of boring videos about tabletop game figurines).

One of the comments on the video has me thinking about watching it because someone asked him why he seemed to be getting "on Braydon's case" toward the end of the video.

5. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Maybe I should watch the end of the stream. It's just so hard to watch Joel's stuff. I did get one interesting bit of news. Joel was doing almost nothing until one early video went viral and had over 1M views. He said after that the channel just started growing, slowly but growing. If not for that one viral video (I can't remember which one he said it was) we might not be talking about him at all.

Braydon did mention the Community in the 20 minutes I watched.

Just a personal observation, neither Joel nor Braydon are very good at these types of presentations. I am also not really interested at looking inside Joel's garage either.

6. sgomes

sgomes Active Member

To give a different perspective, I really enjoy Joel's videos. He's a genuinely nice guy and he puts a lot of enthusiasm into what he does. And as a beginner, I've got a lot of insight on the scope of what can be achieved in 3D printing through his channel.

I get the impression his thing isn't trying to be about 3D printing news or expert tips, more 3D printing-related entertainment, and very kid-friendly at that. And I'm A-OK with that :)

7. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I don't watch his videos much anymore, but I watched the entire stream/replay last night.

I haven't been following the R2 much but I would totally buy one if I needed one after watching that video. my modded out R1 is fine though.

8. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I watched it yesterday as I received the email notice of the video. Once you get past the annoying audio issues in the beginning, I was hoping for more of an in depth review of the R2. I own one, but it's my first printer. I was hoping that they would discuss more about the dual extruder coming out or the ability for us to change nozzles. As a newbie, I am still unaware of what this thing can do. Mind you.. I couldn't sit through 2hrs of the video, so I did end up forwarding a bit.
    I did find it interesting though, that he did call out the "outliars".. I know there have been quite a few issues with the kickstarter units, I've had a few myself. Because they actually didnt use UPS to ship it to me.. I got mine from DHL and it was a huge "PITA".
    But I am also surprised that he didnt cover items like the webcam, and the app ability or the fancy items that the R2 has above the others.

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi Curtis,
    Nobody but Robo knows about the time frame of the dual extrusion.

The nozzle- yes you can swap to a different size or hardened. E3dV6 nozzles fit in the Robo hotend (hexagon)

Post any and all questions thoughts or opinions on your machine (start a thread) and we will be happy to answer as many as we can (just bear in mind, we are all users not Robo employees so don't have any of their specific info) :)

Curtis likes this.
  10. daniel871

WheresWaldo and sgomes like this.
  11. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

So Dan you forced me to look at twitter, I hope your happy :D

Well he has suffered most of the current issues, only thing left is the pogo-pin issue.

12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I suppose i dont understand. Isnt a reviewer suppose to review the machine they recieved? If you change things its no longer a review its a story your telling about a machine you got for free that youve modified :confused::eek::rolleyes:

#12 Geof, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  13. daniel871

This is the part that bugs me. The R2 isn't an in-progress prototype, the Kickstarter is over and it's had a really long development cycle.

Joel should have just tried to print the usual bullshit models he always prints and then posted how well it handled it, flaws and all.

Geof likes this.
  14. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

Happens all the time, Cherry-picked, hand delivered product for review or this route of we'll fix it before you review it. Joel is really not a reviewer but rather an exhibitionist. So he has gotten to the point where he is more interested in subscribers than actually reviewing products.

Geof likes this.
  15. daniel871

I did ask Joel on Twitter about seeing if Barnacules would take it after he was done with it and review it and he said he'd ask him.

I hope we get to see/hear how he reacted to it.

16. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Meh...uninterested. fairly confident our newest users print more than he does. The whole youtube thing is about run its course for me. Id rather watch tv and take my chances on a new machine based off my own research ;)

KTMDirtFace likes this.
  17. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

...and that is the problem with too many of the "reviewers"

Geof likes this.
  18. daniel871

I still enjoy Thomas Sanladerer's work, but he also seems to be about the only one taking it halfway seriously any more.

19. daniel871

20. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

There you go Dan, fighting for the little guy.

Geof likes this.