1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Aero combo announced

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mark tomlinson, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

I do have a thinner nema stepper, it's only about 20mm deep but when you add the titan aero, the fan, and the spacer the whole assembly is close to 70mm long. not sure I would want to go much smaller than that for the stepper. It looks like the carriage you posted solved the length issue by turning the fan 90 degrees to where the factory mount is and used a mount that is part of the carriage. This should suffice for that aspect but the nozzle still seems a bit too high for a parts cooling fan setup. I just think that the i3 style will provide a cleaner look along with allowing more versatility with design of the carriage. Also, the carriage that was posted to go with i3 design looks kind of wide but it's tough to tell from the pics. Unfortunately, I just shattered my bed tonight trying to pry off a print so I'll be out of commission for a while until I get a new bed. Thinking of upgrading to a geckotek build plate.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Ouch! How bad? Might be able to limp on by getting a pane of glass from Lowe's and clip over the bed. I've got one for printing petg so I don't break my bed. Glass pane is cheap insurance.

Btw,I agree the i3 style is ultimately going to be the better path of you really want an aero. Also the 20mm stepper is the smallest you would want to go.

3. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

It pretty much broke in half. I don't think there is going to be any limping by. And it was petg that did it. That is a good tip about the pane of glass.

4. Martyprints

Martyprints New Member

hey guys, so i've installed an aero on my robo and i'm having underextrusion issues no matter what i do. i have the steps at 700 and it's not respodning to my changes. just keeps underextruding same as it was at 450 steps/mm. it's also very inconsistent in the layers. tons of gaps and imperfections in the entire print.

also TPU is such a pain to print with the aero, main reason i got it was the super short filament path but that doesn't seem to be an advantage at all. my stock robo extruder with a PTFE tube stuffed in printed much better than this.

i'll figure the TPU out later i mostly need help with the under extrusion and imperfections.

5. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

So, the steps per mm I have for the titan is 418.5. If it isn't any different after adjusting it then it sounds like the firmware isn't actually updating. If you are using arduino to update these remember to clear out the eeprom with M502 and then save with M500. I also, vaguely remember havingan issue with this with an older version of mesh that cleared up when i updated.

As for the tpu, did you place a short piece of Bowden tube into the heartbreak and also into the feed side of the extruder. If you did, did you cut the tube with a fresh razor taking care not to crush it distort the shape of the tube?

I hope any of that helps

6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You have to reflash the flash eeprom if you update the firmware or it will not 'take'

==== EEPROM GCodes ====

M500 Store current settings in EEPROM for the next startup or M501.
    M501 Read all parameters from EEPROM. (Or, undo changes.)
    M502 Reset current settings to defaults, as set in Configurations.h. (Follow with M500 to reset the EEPROM too.)

So after firmware is fixed/changed you need the M502 and an M500 at some point for them to work.
    Do that in a GCode console with the printer.

7. Martyprints

Martyprints New Member

ok, how do i input the M500 and M501 gcodes? using the arduino app?

8. Patrick Ryan

Patrick Ryan Member

You would do it through the gcode screen of your slicer

mark tomlinson likes this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

From whatever host software you use... MatterControl, OctoPrint, Repetier host, Cura, Simplify3D, etc.

10. Martyprints

Martyprints New Member

ok so i've done all that and at 458 steps/mm it's extruding half... i don't get it. it's extruding like 50mm

11. Martyprints

Martyprints New Member

it extrudes correclty at 750 steps/mm. so basically stock settings. i honestly don't get it, but whatever.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

13. Martyprints

Martyprints New Member

so at 750mm/s it extrudes 100mm in controls on mattercontrol but it under extrudes horribly when printing. the layers literally have gaps between them. gonna try 400 now. maybe MC is just not working correctly and extruding half when i press 100mm