1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Screen Blank - no Octiprint

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by usafitz, Jul 30, 2017.

1. usafitz

usafitz Member

This was disappointing.... I with the exception of a little circle that I made to test things, I haven't gotten a good print out of my R2. This is my third Robo printer, so I'm not worried about the settings or how I handle it. I don't know why (and I've tried the troubleshoot), but when I turned on my printer this week, the screen was blank and there was no boot sequence. With Octi not working, the only thing I can think of is that the SD image was corrupted or something.

Does anyone have experience with this? After waiting a very long time to get this thing, having everything go blank is very disappointing.

thanks for the help!

2. usafitz

usafitz Member

I can't really wait till next week for this trouble ticket... if there's a Robo developer on here, can you send me a private link to the image file so that I can reload it?

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, there is also a thread on here suggesting that you make a backup of the SD card as soon as you get the machine :)
    Then it is just reburn the SD card image (new SD card real worst case) and let it update.

At this point you should contact Robo, but there is a thread on here with a clone of the SD card image for the R2 you can download.
    You will need to change the machine name, but that is discussed in the thread as well.

If that does NOT sort it then the LCD itself has died. In your case I am thinking it is NOT the LCD because if it were just the LCD then OctoPrint would still load up and run. Just make sure your IP address has not changed for the printer and you are connecting to the right IP address. You probably are, but check it.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

And no, posting about it here on the users forum doesn't count :) We are all owners just like you. You will likely want to pick up the phone and call them for fastest service.

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

6. usafitz

usafitz Member

Yep, checked the IP and tried Octo, but no dice. Thanks for the thread. I'll give them a call (I never consider forums official support) and I'll let everyone know what happened.

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Awesome. If you have an SD card you can burn the image from the one in the other thread and see if it will boot.
    If so then change the machine name and get back to printing.

You should STILL contact Robo to make sure they know what happened and get the official support wheels turning ... best of luck.

8. usafitz

usafitz Member

hey, thanks for the help! It doesn't mention how to change the machine name... was it a different thread that was on?

9. usafitz

usafitz Member

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

eh, not that hard you just need to be able to telnet (or SSH) into the pi.
    1. Edit the Hostname File. Next type: sudo nano /etc/hostname (and then hit enter) ...
    2. Commit the changes. ...
    3. Change the /boot/hostnames file. ...
    4. Reboot the Pi.
    Here is an example. Use putty to connect to the rPi (you just need to know the IP address):

connect to the IP address with putty.

login: pi
    password:raspberry

>sudo nano /etc/hostname
    edit or add your machine name here...

>sudo nano /boot/hotname
    edit or add your machine name here...

disconnect and reboot the pi/printer

EDIT: by the time I had this all typed in you had already posted the link :)

11. usafitz

usafitz Member

@mark tomlinson , Thanks so much for the help. On first look, I think everything's good. It booted up and I was able to configure the network right away. I couldn't SSH in, so I'm guessing the firewall on the image has port 22 closed. Once I get that figured out, I should be good to go.

Looking forward to using my R2 again. :)

12. Kilrah

Kilrah Well-Known Member

To enable ssh on default raspbian you want to put an empty file called "ssh" on the boot partition (can be done on any computer since that's FAT32 formatted).

13. usafitz

usafitz Member

That's definitely good to do as well... but I figured out the problem. It was the cypher that the default image offers. I had my SSH cypher set to arcfor, and it doesn't support that. I'll post a screenshot, but bottom line is, change your cypher to aes128-ctr, or any of them in the image, and it'll connect right away. Also, if you've connected to that IP address before on another machine, you might want to delete your 'known-hosts' file in your .ssh directory.

Robo_initial_install_ssh.jpeg