1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Duet Wifi controller board

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by danzca6, Aug 17, 2016.

1. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@danzca6 or @WZ9V How does the Duet compare to the Smoothie as far as configuration and feature set?

2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

I just got mine last night. Won't be able to play with it for awhile. I see Tom did a smoothie overview this weekend. I'll check that video out to see what differences I can find.

#22 danzca6, Sep 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  3. danzca6

Can you imagine a printer with 7 extruders or 4 extruders with 4 separatex carriages? The Duex5 for the Duet Wifi prototyping is coming and includes...
    • 5 more TMC2660s
    • 5 more heater channels (that can be re-purposed for servos)
    • 5 more thermistor channels
    • 5 more endstops (think filament outsensors etc)
    • support for 2 more PT100/TC daughter boards , so 4 more PT100/TCs
    • same form factor as the DuetWifi, designed to be mounted back-back with spacers for efficient use of space and cooling.
    With the DuetWifi and theDuex5 you could build a 7 extruder printer, or 4 extruder printer with 4 independent X axis carriages (not yet supported in firmware!)

4. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Or you could dig into the color mixing scripts and have multiple cold-ends feeding into a given hotend (like the 4 cold end Prusa development).

5. danzca6

The options are plentiful... Would be pretty cool.

6. regor

regor Member

Could you let us know how to change over from the Ramps board on the robo r1 to this duet wifi board? How involve is it to port the current code we have to this board or does it use it's own code and have to be modified? Kind of need a step by step porting lesson. I really like the wifi capabilities. As much as I would like the R2 cannot see buying one that has no history, especially after all the mods done to my R1 and this duet board seems to get us there without waiting another six months for an R2.

7. danzca6

Sure thing @regor. As soon as I get a free evening I'll port over to the duet and do a step by step. So many projects. Yes it isn't based on the Marlin firmware. It uses Repetier and is essentially all gcode based. You're right that this would be a way to up the r1 to dinner features that are available on the r2. Not sure what drivers the r2 is using, but the duet tmc drivers are awesome.

8. regor

regor Member

Sounds good! I think you also did a IR differential upgrade. I have the parts, but hesitant to do it, seemed like the thread on it wasn't as final as I would like to see. Unless I was reading the wrong how to thread.

9. danzca6

@regor yes sir. I have the IR height sensor and love it. That thread is crazy long. I, or someone, should make a new thread that gives the details needed for installation and use. Any question you have about it, please PM me. I'll do my best to get you up and running with it.

10. anngeelow81

anngeelow81 Member

Did anything ever come of this? Going 32bit is my next step and I found out the hard way that the ramps-FD was a waste of time