1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Connection Error. Heating - Wire missing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Curtis, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Ouch!! So a few days ago, I had a huge oozing issue, but that was fixed. I realigned the threads and nozzle within the heating block. Then today, I get another error, so I take a look and find this! ROBO says too that they have no replacement parts!
    Pic 1 Pic 2

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The hexagon is standard hotends you can get on on Amazon. You should still make them provide a replacement when they get parts in stock

3. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Apparently the unit is not the same as the C2, I was hoping to get a replacement like they have in store. But the email from support indicated that they may send me a replacement thermistor wire from a C2 to fit on a R2 extruder so that I can try to fix it.

Mark, can you please link me to a possible suitable replacement that I may buy? I was looking at E3D items but I wasn't sure if they would work or not with the wire connections.

#3 Curtis, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Curtis

Curtis New Member

Great..now Robo wants me to try to fix this wire. How the heck do you do that?
    Broken Wire

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I can't tell from the pictures what the problem is.
    I am going to "guess" the thermistor?

They should be sending you a new harness that includes it (but probably don't have spare parts in stock)
    What did they send you? Is that what is in the picture?

You can replace the entire hotend, but that seems excessive (you can't easily buy just the thermistor for a hexagon not the same kind Robo uses at least).

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

There is no fixing that. It is a broken wire on thermistor and the canistor is removed(adhesive gave out?). They need to send you a new part.

7. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I am still dealing with support via email. It was suggested that I try to fix the thermistor wire. I know I'm new at this, but its looks pretty broken. You say I can just buy another? Would the wires be the same you figure? I looked at Amazon, but there is a big difference between .ca & .com

What type of hexagon hotend should I be looking for to replace this one? The C2 on the shop looked similar but apparently it is not. Id like to deal with more local shop for prices, but it's difficult.

Yea.. it just kinda came out when I loosened the screw. Looks done to me!

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As @Geof indicated, the wire can't be fixed. The part needs to be replaced... this is why Tier-1 (email/front-line) support is not helpful.

You can buy one of these, the thermistor is NOT exactly the same (physically) so you would need to splice the one that comes with it into the wiring harness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W8FL5BS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you just don't want to wait. The thermistor 'type' as defined in the firmware will almost certainly be the same, but physically the cannisters are different. I didn't care when adding it to the C2, I was redoing the harness for the second extruder at any rate.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You can go to their site and schedule an appointment for a tier-2 technician as I understand it.. They are the ones who at least know the hardware and can get you replacements.

10. Curtis

Curtis New Member

They are sending me a "C2 R2 THERMISTOR 100K NTC HEXAGON ASSY" and will be shipped under warranty. In the meantime, is something like this the same? This place is local and would be great if I could get parts from him.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Similar, yes... the same? No.
    That is an E3D canister thermistor and they are not the same type (in the firmware) and they are not exactly the same size (physically).

I thought I mentioned you can't easily get the ones that fit the Robo anywhere other than Robo (and we really have looked) :)

Even BangGood and AliExpress don't have the exact sames ones.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

On the R1's it was common to replace the Hexagon with an E3D (the entire hotend) if you ever needed to replace anything.
    I am not sure it will fit the R2 (pretty sure it will not without work). However the generic Hexagon would fit, but you then have to swap the themistor harness (once -- after that you are on the standard parts).

13. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I guess even the C2 and the R2 are different. Support says that the wire to the heating core are different, but they should have R2 stock in soon. Just a bummer to always be down due to some hardware failure.
    Thanks!

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

What is different is the actual heater core.

The C2 runs at 19v and the R2 at 24v

I cheated on mine and used a 24v heater core on the second extruder I added, but they are different heater cores.

I suppose it is possible they have a different thermistor too, but I doubt it.
    Thing is they want to send you an entire harness and all of that is attached so ... they are different

15. Curtis

Curtis New Member

If only I knew more about this printer and 3D printing in general. I had to google what the heck a thermistor was.. LOL
    I am looking forward to the potential of a 2nd extruder, but it will likely have to be the proprietary one. I wish I had the knowledge to install like you did on the C2.
    The biggest modding I will be doing for now is likely usb lights! ;)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Keep at it long enough -- yoi will get there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

17. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I remember being afraid to do anything to my printers :D lol it passes. Normally after the first modification or major repair. I have a hard time believing a R1+ thermistor wouldn't work on the R2 or the C2. seems...yea...about that lol. I have 24V E3Ds and 12V E3Ds...heater cartridge is the only different part number on the spare parts shelf.